Urgent Q re: Double Oven wiring

Mia

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there

I am currently renovating an old house and the builder explained that the energy supply will not support a 'large' electric oven cable.
So I need to know:
1. What make and model is there available that will take a small electric cable (requirments are - electric double fan-oven / stainless steel look / good capacity / 600mm standard width appliance)
2. Is a small electric cable 4mm and the large 6mm ? or are there more sizes?

Thanks a million! :)

Sponsored Links
There are many cable sizes available from 1 sq mm to 10 sq mm and beyond but cable size isn't the real issue here. What counts is available CURRENT because this determines how big an oven you can have. Once you know your current limit you can look for an oven within that limit then get cable big enough to carry the current - or bigger if you like.

You can plug a 3 kilowatt oven straight into a ring main socket. For anyything bigger you will need a spare fuse in the consumer unit. Perhaps this is what your builder is telling you; that you have no spare fuses.

Mia said:
I am currently renovating an old house and the builder explained that the energy supply will not support a 'large' electric oven cable.

Sounds like he may be talking about the main supply incomer not taking any increase in load as he's allowing for a larger cable to the point of use.
Would need to clarify this first.

If it's not simply a case of no spare ways in the fusebox/CU, I can't imagine any supply too feeble to support an electric oven.

Electric oven and hob, or integrated fully electric cooker, quite possibly, but not just an oven.

And the solution is simple - gas hob.

Sponsored Links
We get some cottages around here on 40A incomers BAS. Mind you he'd have to be one dilligent Builder to know that as they're in the same housing. Need to get a clearer pic of where he's coming from before we can say really.

Gas hobs are how they do it in many flats with old supplies too, as the risers can be on 10 or 16mm (if you're lucky) in older ones. The other great saviour in these is communal heating.

Beanzy said:
We get some cottages around here on 40A incomers BAS.
Yeah, but there's a big zone of imprecision bounded by a 40A supply, a calculated maximum demand, an actual maximum demand and what you can draw before the service fuse goes pop.

A 40A supply may be a limiting factor for a fully electric cooker, but with diversity the demand of just an oven is, what - 14-15A max?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back