USA to UK plugs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I know which wires correspond to which from US to UK plugs but i need to reduce the voltage in the product. I bought something from the states and wish to use it here in England but its 110v and we are 220(ish)v. Can i buy a transformer or what do i need to do? I am not electrically minded!

Sponsored Links
You can buy plug-in transformers (I got mine off eBay, though you can get them in hardware shops too) which plug into 230v UK sockets and then have a 110v US socket on the back, so don't go cutting the plug off your equipment just yet.....

Or you can do what I did with my Christmas lights but, frankly, I don't recommend it ;)

johnny_t said:
Or you can do what I did with my Christmas lights but, frankly, I don't recommend it ;)
:confused: whats that then? wired 2 sets in series?

Er, Yes. Worked for a while, but then I put the blinker bulbs in and it all went bad - Wrong peak voltages in the wrong place and all that.......

Sponsored Links
I had my light in series aswell (when the icicle lights first cam out, but where not in uk).

As it was basically a 220v set (110 + 110) on more or less 240v, a lamp would blow very quickly, and kill a portion of the set. You would change it, just for another to go soon after, killing another section. Pain in the rectum - binned em.

To digress a little...Amercians permit mains voltage (110v) lights outdoors :eek: , admitedly they have separate outdoor sets, but they are not a lot different from the indoor sets, and some people use indoor ones outside, same things apply with extension cables

Its quite common for them to get shocks when working on them with the power on, and for them to trip the GFI (RCD) if a bulb gets broken, or the weather is quite inclement.

Its a hell of a difference from here, where most of our stuff is 24v/36v SELV, and what mains stuff we do have is all properly IP rated.

Have heard of people importing amercian stuff into this country and using 55-0-55 site transformers to run them, not quite sure how dangerous it is in practice, its certainly safer than what happens over the pond, but its more dangerous than our stuff usually is

i remember my gran had a set of lights in florida - one end had a 110v plug, the other end had a 110v standard socket! (meant for daisychaining) and she put them outdoors! how do they get away with unfused plugs with dangerous setups like this!!!? :eek: :eek: :eek: and i dont think there were any RCDs of GFIs in her mobile home either! :confused:

The ones I had had a plug one end, and socket the other :eek:

Meant 100% for outside use, and said as much on the box........did trip my RCD several times.....another reason they where slung.

Same as mine though, as a safety conscious kind of guy, I covered the socket end in silicone sealant for exterior use. ;) There is a small fuse in the plug as well (though obviously not once I'd cut it off and wired them in series)....

frequency can make a difference but in practice most kit seems to survive it.

one thing to bear in mind is that most transformers sold for use with US appliances are autotransformers. Theese have a nasty failure mode: if the coil breaks in the wrong place you can get most/all of the input voltage on the output!

Some appliances are switchable or universal input, if yours is then just set it up for uk mains and use it directlyl

if your brinnging quite a bit of kit from the USA consider one of the big yellow isolating transformers sold for building sites. Much less chance of a failure that will destroy your kit.

plugwash said:
if your brinnging quite a bit of kit from the USA consider one of the big yellow isolating transformers sold for building sites. Much less chance of a failure that will destroy your kit.
Would these work with normal 110v appliances? I mean, with there not being a neutral side, just 2 phases. Wouldn't some equipment have dickie-fits about this?

110v is 110v measured between 2 points. Quite a lot of ships are 220v three phase and 220 single phase, the single phase is wired from 2 phases and the three phase uses all 3. We could do the same here but can you imagine the regs for 415 house wiring :eek:

crafty1289 said:
plugwash said:
Would these work with normal 110v appliances? I mean, with there not being a neutral side, just 2 phases. Wouldn't some equipment have dickie-fits about this?

any class 2 stuff will be fine. you may find the occasional class 1 appliance that doesn't like it but i'm pretty sure such appliances are the exception not the rule.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back