Use a spade bit for drilling holes for coach bolts?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to drill holes to attach newel posts (90 mm x 90 mm) to deck joists (45 mm). I think it would be ideal to clamp the post in place and then drill the holes in both the post and joist at the same time but I don't know whether the "twirly bit" (as my mum calls it) is long enough on a 10 mm wood drill bit (I don't think it is). Should I use a spade bit for this? ToolStation has this nice long one.

Also, for M10 coach bolts, I should use exactly 10 mm holes? I figure so, but sometimes I figure wrong :)

Sponsored Links
Why not measure your bits?

And yes, a spade bit will be fine. As would an auger or a long HSS or brad point. It's a hole you need, it doesn't terribly matter how you drill it. ;)

I know it's not long enough on the bits I currently own, but I'll make a trip out tomorrow. I've never used a spade bit before so I thought I ought to ask in case they're not appropriate for this purpose. It would waste a lot of time and effort to find out they're not after buying and using it. :/ Thanks for your guidance :)

Spade bits will be fine for boring a hole, just beware that the exit will be messy. Clamp a spare piece of wood over the end to get a clean exit.

Sponsored Links
i personaly stop 6mm short with a spade bit and drill from the other side where the point has broken through

but as said a bit off wood in this instance clamped on as breakout could be expensive ;)

I find the clamped scrap wood method easier and more accurate, personally. :) And I have loads of old floorboard and bits of pine board etc to sacrifice.

A spade bit can easily be extended using an extension bar.

Someone advised me to use torx head bolts so that the head can be 'lost' in the timber. I don't know if it's useful in your situation. The heads are just like coach bolts but with the torx socket in the head. Also useful if removing them at a later date.

The torx coach bolts will cost more but will drive in faster and with less torque. The torx bit for the drill will also be cheaper than buying a socket attachment for your drill.

the spax ones are good

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back