Use drain cock for external tap?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

have been renovating the kitchen and, due to a new sink and change of appliances, I'm running out of space under the sink. The sink is now a 1.5 and the waste pipes take more space and drop lower, the new appliances (washing machine and dishwasher) have some fancy electronic shut-off valves on the end of the appliance hose and these are also quite big and relatively heavy.

Upshot of all this is that I have had to disconnect the external tap which previously shared a y-connector with the dishwasher. This Y-connector has had to go, and I've added 3/4" BSP elbows to the pipework to angle the appliance hoses 'inwards' rather than upwards towards the bottom of the sink.

I'm waiting on a 'dual appliance valve' to arrive (which will do the job of the discarded y-connector), but with space so tight, I'm wondering if I can just connect the external tap hose onto the cold water drain cock permanently?

Would this be a big plumbing no-no, or am I ok to go this route.

Cheers

Mike

Sponsored Links
eh no it wouldnt be all right do it properly with a tap, back plate outside and double check valve and isolator on the inside

Thanks for the reply Kirkgas. The external tap already incorporates a double check valve (but on the outside), however the inside isolator isolates both the dishwasher and external tap when used (which I thought was good enough at the time)

I might be able to clear a bit more space by getting rid of the separate waste pipes for the dishwasher and washing machine and attach them straight into the sink waste.

I guess the drain cock approach would be a bit too heath-robinson?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back