Use of external stop valve

jar

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Due to a burst pipe wrecking half the house when we were on holiday a few years ago I'm now paranoid about water damage while we are not at home.

I know the simplest thing to do is use the stop valve under the kitchen sink to turn off the water before going away, which is what I've been doing.

My question is, if there is an issue with the internal valve at the time it's needed (usually just as we're leaving the house) can I legally (in the UK) turn off the water at the valve in the street and leave this off for however long we are away - say 1 or 2 weeks ? I know I can probably use it for a short term outage but not sure if there is a limit.

As I said, completely paranoid so thinking what happens if the valve in the kitchen doesn't work or, worse, breaks just as we're leaving for the airport - however unlikely that might be :)

Thanks

Sponsored Links
If you have central heating, leave it on a low setting when you go away. No pipes to freeze then. Make sure your existing plumbing is well insulated. Is the stop tap in the street accessible for you to turn off ? Some are old and dated with a "square " to be quarter turned to turn off. Have seized one in the past and water company has had to send a dig team to remedy.

Hi

Yes, appreciate I can do that to alleviate frozen pipes. But I'm now at the stage where I prefer to turn the water off as we've had other leaks as well that, if we hadn't been at home, could have caused serious damage. It hasn't happened often but it HAS happened.

I know people have different opinions about whether to turn off the water while away but I'm now in the turn it off camp.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Thanks. Everyone has individual ones on the pavement outside. As I said, just wasn't sure if you could leave it off for more than a day or two.

Hopefully will never come to that but good to know if it's an option in an emergency.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back