Using a communicator but problems making a connection

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I put in all the security wiring under the plaster along with the feeds for the cameras but totally forgot to bring an Ethernet or phone connection to where the scantronics 9651 is installed. Now I am thinking of adding a communicator but have no means of connecting to the outside world apart from running cables on the surface which I do not really want to do!

Hope someone can suggest a way to go. I was wondering if perhaps I could use one of those units that allows an Ethernet connection through the mains wiring as I have a spare socket quite close to the system box. Not sure how that would help me but perhaps one of the bright people on here can help me solve this 'little' problem

Thanks

Richard

Sponsored Links
If its for an ethernet connection, the the mains links would work, but they are dirty.

A standard wifi network could be utilised by attaching a wifi bridge/repeater.

A cheaply netgear dg834g router can be used, with the DHCP disabled as a wireless bridge. It can connect to your existing wireless connection and 'pull in' that connection through its aerial. It then repeats this out its aerial, and also through its four port switch.

So, connect your DVR and Intruder communicator to the Ethernet ports, and they will link through to your existing network and broadband connection wirelessly.

A dg834g can be picked up cheaply on eBay. Remember you must alter ip addresses on the router, and disable DHCP. Google "dg834 wireless bridge repeater", I am sure there are some tutorials.

Obviously, wired is far superior.

So how is the 9651 going to connect via the ethernet ? Emizon ? I don't think he has got that ? No ip mod for a 9651

Sponsored Links
For what alarm ? Or cameras ?

Please see above Scantronics 9651

Dose it matter what cameras i have installed? Tho point I was making was simply that I had planned for part of the security system but totally failed to think that I might want to have some remote method of controlling the actual alarm system, or getting alerts when away.

Cheers

Richard

Your options are gsm dialer or swop panel for premier with an ip com unit , I believe the galaxy with ip unit is the cheaper option or run a cable

Thank you everyone very much for all of your replies.

I have egg all over my face because I've just opened the Scantronics 9651 box and what did I find? Yes all neatly coiled up is an Ethernet cable and a phone cable that I ran up to the office to beside where my phone lines are connected and the network hub is!!!! I put these in some years ago and totally forgot about their existence.

This self-built took many years to complete and some things were forgotten. I thought that I had provided for everything so was a bit miffed when I thought I had not made provision for a phone connection or network connection.

I presume that all I need to do now is to purchase an appropriate communicator and wire it up or are there any other considerations please?

Cheers

Richard

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back