Using a semi-flex rule

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've heard good things about these flexible plastering rules and thought maybe it's a good investment. I've noticed there seem to be two types, semi-flex and one that doesn't state what it is but I assume it's rigid. I have a couple of questions.
  • On which occasions would you use one and not the other?
  • How difficult are they to use for a newbie?
My intention is to use it to flatten a wall above my fireplace and then fill in the gaps in plasterboard tapered edge in my kitchen.

Semi Flex

https://www.screwfix.com/p/ox-speedskim ... lsrc=aw.ds

Rigid

https://www.screwfix.com/p/ox-speedskim ... 0mm-/1660x

I don't know if you can make out the blemishes on the wall but it's pretty bad.

Attachments

• IMG_20230507_181814.jpg
    IMG_20230507_181814.jpg
    145.8 KB · Views: 44
Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Bought an Ox Speedskim last year when I was plastering my daughter's house. Never used one before but found it pretty good. I usually spread and polish with a standard trowel to a decent standard, so the Ox didn't necessarily improve the finish but it did some of the effort out. I found laying on and initial flatten with trowel followed by a skim over with the Ox made the second coat much easier to lay on. Once firm a final skim over with the Ox and finish with the trowel as normal was producing a very nice finish.

PS. you've got to bear in mind that I'm not plastering every day. Very much an amateur, albiet with a fair bit of experience.

Bought an Ox Speedskim last year when I was plastering my daughter's house. Never used one before but found it pretty good. I usually spread and polish with a standard trowel to a decent standard, so the Ox didn't necessarily improve the finish but it did some of the effort out. I found laying on and initial flatten with trowel followed by a skim over with the Ox made the second coat much easier to lay on. Once firm a final skim over with the Ox and finish with the trowel as normal was producing a very nice finish.

PS. you've got to bear in mind that I'm not plastering every day. Very much an amateur, albiet with a fair bit of experience.
I have zero experience, mate. I just need something to make my life easier.

Do you know the difference between the two?

Sponsored Links
I've only used the blue plastic one, so can't comment on practical use of the steel blade. If I understand correctly, both can be used at any time in the process but the blue plastic blade is stiffer - so better for flattening - and the steel blade is better for final polish. The difference is that the steel blade will follow contours so the plaster needs to be pretty flat before you start using it.

I would think a blue plastic blade would be better for you but, quite honestly, if you have limited experience and won't be using the blade for general skimming you might be better off filling and sanding your uneven wall - using a taping/jointing knife.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back