Using ash?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am getting the materials togwether for my conservatory and was wonder about what to use for the base, well infact if i can use ash like in the old days for flagging etc, i can get a load of it that i have used before with flagging and block paving but will it be ok for use above the hardcore/between the hardcore and DPM?

Is DPM strong, as ash is more course than sand and i dont want it to damage the DPM.

Other wise i will get sand.

Any help here please.

thanks wayne

Sponsored Links
Just use sand.

While DPM's are fairly tough, anything sharp will go through it like a hot knife through butter. It is simply not worth taking the risk for the cost involved.

Ok will do, thanks mate.

Just trying to cut back on cost but then sand aint expensive.

I am doing it this week so i hope the rain keeps off a bit.

DPM is pretty tough and if your MOT is quite fine and well compacted you can get away without using sand as blinding. But for the price of a thin scattering of sand it's not worth the risk.

Sponsored Links
Its fairly fine realy the ash.
I will need about 3/4 cubic m so at a guess it will be cheaper than sand as i can get 1 ton of ash for a tenner.

A bit technical this Q now but, how much does the MOT and hardcore compress /go down by. Not that it matters but more curious.

From my own limited experience, I would suggest about 10% compaction. i.e. about 15mm for about 150mm of MOT.

Just a comment on using something other than sand.
I recently used quarry dust, classed as 0 - 3mm particles. About 13 Euros per tonne, I think, from memory. But the larger particles were a bit sharp. In the end there was no damage to the DPM, but it did worry me a bit.
You can't get soft sand here.

In future I would use quarry dust, then layer of insulation, then DPM, then layer of insulation, then concrete.
I couldn't get 100mm insulation here so I used 2 layers of 40mm anyway.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back