Using bathroom paint on new plaster

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, new to the forum and looking for some advice, I've recently had my bathroom ceiling and half a wall replastered (rest is tiled). I have left it two weeks to dry out and have painted it with dulux bathroom+ paint. I watered the first coat down to about 70% paint 30% water then left it over night to dry. The following day I did a second coat using 90% paint and 10% water due to the humid conditions. Problem is the paint looks streaky and where I've used a brush to do the cutting in looks totally different to where I've rolled. I've since read up that you should always use watered down Matt emulsion on new plaster. I considered going over the bathroom paint with a couple of coats of watered down Matt and starting again however I've also read that you shouldn't use Matt paint over bathroom and kitchen paint due to their similarities with silk. I am now unsure of what to do and any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Matt

Sponsored Links
Hi, is the paint on the wall sound ie no peeling, flaking etc?

If it is fine then giving it another coat may well do the job.
I would always give a wall two coats of paint.

I agree with Pigeon85. Assuming there's no paint flecking off (it would bubble under the previous skin of paint) then I would apply another full strength coat.
The final coat of Bathroom+ should dry at a slower rate than the mistcoats so you shouldn't get the streaks once it's finished. You could try using a paint pad instead of roller and cutting in brush as it tends to blend in better if the roller coat dries too quickly.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the advice guys, I decided to cut in with a brush and go over it immediately with a small roller before rolling the whole wall. It took 5 coats in total to look how I wanted it to but I got there eventually. I think in future I will do the mist coat all with a brush when possible. It seems the brush pushes the paint further into the plaster where as the roller causes it to sit more on top causing it to look patchy.

Thanks again

Matt

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back