Using lime in mortar

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Reading through this site I have found I need the following to lay 2000 bricks;

2T of building sand
16 bags of cement

However, if I wanted to use lime and have my mortar; 1:1:6 how much lime would I need to buy.

I understand lime comes in 25Kg bags, but they are twice the size.

Does it mean I will need 8 cement and 8 lime, or 8 cement and 4 lime?

Any help appreciated.

Sponsored Links
it`s done by volume ( you probably know that :oops: )so you have to judge the volume of the bag of lime . Gauge it all in a bucket/ container of a useful size - and remember cement packs down slightly in it`s bag . - Further than that I haven`t got a clue ;)

Whilst I use lime in render base coat, I use a plasticiser (Febmix) in bricklaying mortar. I’m no brickie & don’t do a lot except on renovation works but I thought using a plasticiser removed the need for lime :confused:

Any commenst from the brickies :?:

BS 5628-3 is supposed to give guidance on batch mixing or mortas, but so far I have been unable to find a free download link.

Does anyone have a link for BS 5628-3?

Sponsored Links
BS 5628-3 is supposed to give guidance on batch mixing or mortas, but so far I have been unable to find a free download link.

I've got BS 5628-3 it's a 136 page document that contains a plethora of information on mortar. There's a Table 13 - Masonry Mortars that lists different strength classes is that what you're after?

Whilst I use lime in render base coat, I use a plasticiser (Febmix) in bricklaying mortar. I’m no brickie & don’t do a lot except on renovation works but I thought using a plasticiser removed the need for lime :confused:

Any commenst from the brickies :?:

The lime does the job of the plasticiser although I have used lime mortar and put a "drop" of Feb in it. Have not seen Feb (plasticiser) available round these parts for about 5 years Rich, used to swear by it. Didn't think it was available anymore have to use Sika or BM own brand :cry:

One very good point, so take note.

NEVER EVER EVER drop a bag of lime in an enclosed space...................

I did, not pleasent, not by a long shot!

I've got BS 5628-3 it's a 136 page document that contains a plethora of information on mortar. There's a Table 13 - Masonry Mortars that lists different strength classes is that what you're after?

I won't know untill I am able read it.

My interest in the document is whether it has mortar mixes by weight as BS 5328 part 2 1997 has for concrete

most librays have access to brithish standerd and can be veiwed free of charge on line if you got a libray card if not go into libray and they will print out the pages you need for a small charge

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back