using loft space for storage

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I live in a mid terrace 2 storey three bedroom house built in 1973. I'd like a loft conversion but the low roof height means it would have to be roof raise job and I just can't afford it. All I really want is to make better use of the loft for storage (clothes mainly). It's not for the kids to sleep in or play in or anything like that. I do want a fixed staircase though and I'd want to make more space by getting rid of some of the trusses (they'r not important are they?!)

The roof space has 9 'W'-type trusses one end to the other about 58cm apart. I don't want to be clambering around those. So first up, what are the options for me in terms of losing those trusses but maintaining the required load bearing integrity?

In terms of stairs, I'm thinking of those very steep, alternate tread stairs that would lead up from the landing (in place of the existing airing cupboard). Would these be legal given the circumstances and intentions described?

At the moment, the loft has no power, a few floorboards down and is basically an ugly mess. I'd like it decorated, powered (for light at least) with some built-in cupboards. So final question (appreciate it may be unanswerable given the scant information provided): How much?!

Sponsored Links
mmmm a joke i think :D :D
they add loads off unessisery expensive wood to keep the builders fit ;)

I don't get what you mean Big All :confused:

EDIT: Have re-read your post big-all and my original post; just to clarify then, I'm wanting to find out what options I have (if any) in terms of removing trusses but replacing those removed with some other means of bearing the necessary weight. Might fewer but larger trusses be an option for example? Are there any other structures I could have in place of the existig trusses which bear the same load but occupy less space?

ok truss rafters are designed by engineers to be the minimum size possible and with minimum redundancy and rely on all componants for strength so must not be altered in any way or weakened by alteration

Sponsored Links
Do you intend to get Building Regulations approval? Which is required once you make structural alterations to the trusses?

Cheers both.

Big all: I've assumed that it is possible to alter trusses because some people must do that in order to have a full loft conversion. From what I understand, steel beams are inserted in order to bear the roof weight without trusses. I've read elsewhere that this might even be avoided in favour of different timbers. Either way, if I go down this route at all it sounds like I'll need a surveyor to check it out. I'm starting to think those rafters may just have to stay where they are...

Freddymecurystwin: I will if needed (wouldn't have a choice would I? without being irresponsible I mean)

Some of the loft is floored already and I do have a drop down ladder but it is still very much a loft up there if you know what I mean, as opposed to a storage room. Ideally, I'd have proper cupboards and walls providing insulation and a fixed stairway (alternate tread); it would need to be somewhere I/we can get in and out of without the rigmarole (albeit minor I know) of opening a hatch, dropping a ladder, retriveing what we want and then stowing all away again). I'm willing to pay a few thousand pounds for this, such is my desperation for storage room, combined with my unwillingness to move house and inability to pay £50K for a full roof-raise loft conversion.
Is anyone able to confirm the regulatory implications of installing a fixed alternate tread staircase?

Really helpful endecotp - thank you. Aside from the fixed staircase bit, I could forego some of the other stuff (finished walls etc) and still get what I need without it becoming habitable. Are these guidelines particularly harsh do you think (I wonder what the resons are for some of the restrictions)?

So, the alternate tread stairs is the main problem it seems. Thanks again for your work on Google - I will look for a local equivalent...

Those alt stairs are no easier to climb than a decent quality loft ladder with a built in handrail.

Wasn't there also something in that doc about "not more than one third of the area", or similar?

Would be interesting to know if there is much regional variation in these things.

Don't forget that you could just phone up your local council and ask!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back