Using one Boiler instead of two

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
About a month ago I enquired about joining up two central heating systems and using one existing A23 Euro Combi instead of two.

One pipe work is 8 mm, the other is 13mm.

More radiator info was requested.

Ground floor, 1200x500 Double, fins on both panels; (1000x600 Double, fins on both panels; 800x500 Single with fins one panel, this room have no external walls), 600x500 Single with fins one panel; 800x500 Single with fins; 480x290 Double, fins on both panels; 700x500 Single with fins; 1200x500 Single with fins.

Upstairs, 600x600 Single with fins; 600x400 Double with fins on both panels; 1200x400 Double with fins on both panels; 1200x400 Double with fins on both panels.

The house is a mid terrace. Thanks to everyone.

Sponsored Links
"Single" and "double" are rather vague terms. There are five types of rads:

Single with no fins
Single with fins
Double with no fins
Double with fins on one panel only
Double with fins on both panels.

Can you supply the missing info as it affects the output of each rad?

Still the same advice:

Convert all the rads to 600 mm high using the old 1/2=2/4 method and cross multiplication. Don't worry about exact numbers, all you want is an approximation e.g 2 metres long and 290 high = 1 metere long and 600 high.

After you have done this, add up all the PANNEL lenghts and you have your ouput in KW.

2 dhailsham is still not, and never has been an installer; he knows as much as you can google yourself, so follow his instructions at your peril.

Alson, you should have added to any previous thread so we could read what you have been told.

There is no problem running the heating.

But you will lose half of your water heating power!

That will be why the two boilers were fitted. ( Unless it was in two flats )

A combi will only supply just ONE hot water outlet at a time.

Tony

Sponsored Links
Clever or not, you don't become a heating engineer by sitting in your chair. Something might look good on paper, but in the real world it often does not tally up.
The whole public sector "works" like that, and we all know how effiecient they are.

After you have done this, add up all the PANEL lengths and you have your output in KW.
But that is only true if they are all single panel radiators with fins - K1 type.

The single panel without fins is 610W/m; the double panel with single fins is 1409W/m and the double panel with double fins is 1778W/m. (Stelrad Elite figures.) That's nearly a 3 to 1 difference for the same "size" radiator.

The OP has a mix of single panel and double panel rads, but we don't know if they have fins are not. You are jumping to the conclusion that they are all K1 types.

You are jumping to the conclusion that they are all K1 types.
As per usual, you are wrong because you have no practical knowledge worth mentioning.

1 I clearly stated PANELS, not radiators.

2 I also clearly stated that we only need a rough estimate at this stage, so it doesn't make the slightest bit of difference what exact type of radiator it is.

The difference between myself, working in the real world where efficiency counts and the likes of you, is that we don't do things that are a waste of time when half possible.
No point in doing an elaborate calculation when the outcome is miles away from a critical value.
Probably impossible to understand for somebody who used to work on public contracts where the main issue is making sure nobody can point a finger at you. Easiest way of improving your chances of avoiding that is to do as little as possible of course. Just go over every risk 5 times and when you have eliminated every possible risk to yourself, you proffer a plan and hope that the signature does not arrive til next year.
Civics :rolleyes:

I clearly stated PANELS, not radiators.
Accepted.

I also clearly stated that we only need a rough estimate at this stage
It will be a very rough estimate. You might as well count up the number of rads and assume they are all 2kW; or just think of a number and double it.

The difference between myself, working in the real world where efficiency counts and the likes of you.
Don't get the idea that I never worked in the "real" world. I spent many years as a self-employed IT consultant, where you had to get it right and time as well as cost were important.

Probably impossible to understand for somebody who used to work on public contracts
Never done that, so your comments are wide of the mark.

Alson, you should have added to any previous thread so we could read what you have been told.

There is no problem running the heating.

But you will lose half of your water heating power!

That will be why the two boilers were fitted. ( Unless it was in two flats )

A combi will only supply just ONE hot water outlet at a time.

Tony

Thanks, you are right, but I am new to the forum, and not familiar with use of the site. Does know how to add to 'previous thread'.

Thanks, you are right, but I am new to the forum, and not familiar with use of the site. Does know how to add to 'previous thread'.
It's very simple. ;)

You just find the topic and click "postreply"!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back