Using outdoor socket as electrical ingress for shed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Every now and then I need to have power in my shed for a small heater or electrical tools. I usually just use extension cable from a nearby socket in my garage. But I can't shut the door which is annoying in bad weather. So I'm considering attaching an outdoor socket on the side of a shed wired to a 2 gang socket on the inside. I can then just plug an extension cable from the garage socket into the outdoor socket when I need power in the shed.

Any reason I shouldn't do this?

Sponsored Links
So I'm considering attaching an outdoor socket on the side of a shed wired to a 2 gang socket on the inside. I can then just plug an extension cable from the garage socket into the outdoor socket when I need power in the shed.
If you mean an extension lead with a plug on each end then definitely yes there is a reason you shouldn't do this.

It is commonly referred to as a widow-maker.

Although in these stupid times I suppose we should also say widower-maker.

Came across a 32A SPNE widowmaker on a job a few months ago- amazed me how long it took the site manager to understand why it was a Bad Thing to have.
OP if you used an outdoor 16A PLUG (fixed to the wall would be nicer, trailing would do as long as you use flex and strain relief at both ends) outside the shed connected to the 2g 13A socket inside the shed and a 13A plug to 16a socket extension from the garage socket then you'd be fine.

I was thinking along the lines of a shrouded 16A wall mount plug so the lead has a 16A flying socket on to a 13A plug.
Or perhaps one of those weatherproof enclosures where it has a multi gang extension lead fed into it and plug in the shed.
however then if power was bought onto the shed circuit some other way that would make the 16A wall plug pins live.

Sponsored Links
If you mean an extension lead with a plug on each end then definitely yes there is a reason you shouldn't do this.

It is commonly referred to as a widow-maker.

Although in these stupid times I suppose we should also say widower-maker.
Nobody does this, surely?

I had to read it twice to make sure i was getting the picture.

Jeysus. Imagine.

So I'm considering attaching an outdoor socket on the side of a shed wired to a 2 gang socket on the inside. I can then just plug an extension cable from the garage socket into the outdoor socket when I need power in the shed.
You can't plug a socket into a socket, and making a cable with plugs on both ends is a bad idea.

A proper fixed installation is the preferred solution, but if that is not an option and you want to go ahead and do this then you should use an appropriate coupler and inlet.

Surely for infrequent temp use a small notch in the door to allow the cable not to get damaged by the closed door would be simpler. But either a proper permanent solution or an outdoor 16a plug fed from a 16a socket on the end of the extension lead would of course be better. But I can envisage the blue plug /socket scenario being left in situ if it's "handy".

But I can envisage the blue plug /socket scenario being left in situ if it's "handy".
Yeah, that is why i'm not a huge fan of such setups in general. The worry that someone stops bothering to unplug them, weeks turn into months, turn into years. The flex disappears under a pile of plant debris and people forget it's there.

Until one day someone puts a spade or a lawnmower or a hedge trimmer through it.

But if the choice is going to come down to a proper inlet and coupler, or an outdoor socket and a widowmaker cable the former is certainly the lesser evil.

Yeah, that is why i'm not a huge fan of such setups in general. The worry that someone stops bothering to unplug them, weeks turn into months, turn into years. The flex disappears under a pile of plant debris and people forget it's there.

Until one day someone puts a spade or a lawnmower or a hedge trimmer through it.
Then the Circuit Breaker will operate - due to a Short-Circuit overload
or
the required RCD (or MCBO) will trip - due to Residual Current imbalance (or the Overload).

This is why MCBs, RCDs and/or RCBOs are required.

So I'm considering attaching an outdoor socket on the side of a shed wired to a 2 gang socket on the inside
If you're going to the effort of buying sockets and drilling holes, just do it properly and create a protected spur on an RCD/RCBO.

If you have some massive aversion to doing it properly, at the very least buy a long extension, take the plug off, drill a hole in the shed, feed the wire through, route it out of harm's way through to another hole drilled in the garage, then fit an RCD fused plug to the end of the wire

Do not put a plug on both ends of a wire; it's out and out an utterly retarded thing to do. Consider how upside down your life would turn if one of your friends brought their children round, you let them play in the garden while you have a coffee and a chat, later to find them dead with your hashed up live-ended plug in their hand

It's posts like the OP's that make me think basic electrical wiring accessories should be removed from sale to the general public. Scary stuff.

In many places in Australia even changing a plug on an appliance needs to be done by a licensed electrician..

..think those down under folk may be onto something there!

The problem then is people will carry on using something that is broken to avoid having to pay someone

Yeah, but if they're that much of a muppet that it wouldn't get any better if they "fixed" it it's probably a "lesser of two evils" debate

In many places in Australia even changing a plug on an appliance needs to be done by a licensed electrician..

..think those down under folk may be onto something there!
Actually, ALL places in Australia.

However, in New Zealand, which operates on the same "Standards",
the Government issues
NZECP 51:2004
"NEW ZEALAND ELECTRICAL CODE OF PRACTICE FOR HOMEOWNER/OCCUPIER’S ELECTRICAL WIRING WORK IN DOMESTIC INSTALLATIONS"
which can be downloaded here.

New Zealand Electrical Code of Practice for Homeowner/Occupier's ...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back