Using plastic pipes and fittings for additional radiators

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Sponsored Links
Yeah it's perfectly fine to use plastic for your new rads, if you use chrome pipe from under the floor to the rad valves make sure to sand the chrome off the pipe where it goes into the push fit fitting as the grip rings in the fitting may not grip the chrome resulting in the pipe parting from the fitting.

Plastic pipe will work fine on a sealed pressurised system.

Good luck with your project.

Cheers.

Unless the boiler safety valve fails shut like my daughter did, the pressure blew the weakest point , a length of plastic pipe under the front room floor, fortunate as it turned out the only room which was unfinished and easily replaced. Had it been all copper would have been a big mess somewhere in the property.

Thanks for the info guys it makes life so much easier when carrying out small jobs like this to use plastic.

One point though, are plastic push fittings OK? and is it equally sound to use plastic pipe for hot and cold water? I am converting my loft and again using flexible pipe would be much easier to install. However, the cold water feed could pose a problem I guess. I have a condenser boiler which delivers from a hot water tank and as such do not expect to many issues (although as it travels up into the ensuite will the force of water be very slow)?

Again, any help / experiences would be appreciated.

Ryan

Sponsored Links
Yeah the plastic push fit fittings will work fine on the central heating system and the hot and cold water system.

...(although as it travels up into the ensuite will the force of water be very slow)?
Not sure what you mean here?

Do you have an open vented hot water system?
Where is your hot water cylinder located?
Where is the tank that feeds the hot water cylinder?
Maybe a picture or two would help.

Cheers.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back