Using rainwater pipework for toilet.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello. We are moving the upstairs bathroom to the other side of the house. (Got building regs etc).
Is it ok to use the underground rainwater pipework already there to carry the toilet water into the drain. It's a shared drain already and I'll put in a new stack.
Should I do a dig to check it's 4 inches wide.
Cheers.

Sponsored Links
If its a shared drain wont it have a trap for the rainwater which will impede the soil.

Blup

I would dye test to ensure it's connected to the sewer, then get a CCTV survey to assess condition before connecting. Whilst it may have happily handled rainwater for many years, the introduction of solid matter may cause issues if there are any defects in the pipework.

If all proves ok, you will need to remove the existing bend/gully/whatever is there and provide a long radius bend at the base of the new stack. Run will also need some form of access for rodding/jetting it it doesn't have it already.

Thanks both of you. I did a test. Not good news. I poured water In and nothing came out at the manhole. So did a little dig near the down pipe as I feared it might go to a soak away. Found out it was heading in the right direction so probably blocked or caved in. Then it dawned on me after googling it's probably pitch fibre as it's black, thin, and smells of bitumen. So looks like it'll have to come out. It's about 30 metres long in all including the main run. under flagstones, concrete and a lot of hard core. I might have a little cry later.

Sponsored Links
Get it CCTV'd before writing it off. It is possible, with the right kit and knowledge, to 'reround' Pitch Fibre, and line it, to form a solid, round, usable pipe.

I can give you details of someone I know, who works Nationwide and may be able to help with the repairs.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back