Using Reed Screening

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
We have a long (35m) hedge which abuts a road, and in the winter the hedge basically goes to twigs. So the previous owner put a panel fence our side of the hedge. This fence is now basically rotten and we want to replace it. However this side of our garden gets a lot of wind in the winter months, especially lately. The majority of the wind is south west and hits the hedge first, but as it it twiggy at this time of year the fence gets most of the force of it.

So we (me and the wife !) have come up with two suggetions:

1. We put a close board (featheredge) fence our side of the henge, using 4" posts and cant rails (3 per post to post). This works out quite expensive !

2. We put the same posts and cant rails up, as for the close baord fence, but instead of the featheredge planks, we staple the roll on reed screening to the cant rails and posts. This way the wind would blow through the screening, and not put any pressure on the posts and rails.

Please can you let me know if option 2, is worth doing or will the reed roll screening, not last very long and not be very resistant to the wind ?

Many Thanks

Sponsored Links
I have some it does let the wind through, but mine is only 6 mths old so i cant say anymore

I am afraid I've ever only used willow screening, which is a little more robust. But it lasts well and hasn't come off the framework I built for it in 5 years. I stapled mine on with galv. staples. I say give it a go.

Bearing in mind that a 6 foot roll of reed screning is normally 4 meters long and about £25 a roll thats £6.25 per metre. 6 feet feather edge from a decent fencing supplier should cost you about £11-12. Thats only about £200 more for a decent longer lasting job.

Having said that the reed screeing would work, but is still subject to the effects of wind and can look ropey after a while. If i use it i normally staple it with an air stapler using 25mm minimum staples. I normally do them to hide over walls or fences etc that clients dont want to replace, rather than as a scren in themselves.

If your worried about the wind then you could go for a lower fence with trellis to the top, but if you put the posts in deep enough in the first place it wont be a problem.

Sponsored Links
Would suggest you look into wattle hurdles,say four feet high. This looks good and in conjunction with the existing hedge will effectively break the force of the wind and still allow the whole lot to breath and support wild life into the bargain.Although hurdles are quite expensive they will last a long time and as already said look good.
Good luck,
chaotic.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back