Using same cat5e for sky box AND telephone

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Guys,

We have 4 boxes in the house, obviously all in different rooms. I already had cat5e into each room before Sky was installed.
But rather than run new telephony cable to each room, could I use the same cat5e/6 cable to wire into the network AND the telephone sockets of my SkyHD boxes?

I would have thought so, but could do with some advice/guidance from those more in the know.

Cheers

Sponsored Links
None of those are data+voice - unless you got for the Red Coolport ones which are "a bit more".
As an alternative, see http://cpc.farnell.com/tuk/adf6/cat-5e-cable-economiser-data-voice/dp/CS13202
You'll want RJ45-phone adapters, or just plug the RJ11 on the end of a phone lead into the voice RJ45 (though this isn't generally advised since plugging an RJ11 into an RJ45 socket can damage the socket).

Yes if you are using 10 or 100 Mb networking which uses 2 pairs. Not if you are using Gb Ethernet which uses all 4 pairs.
That's what i was thinking but someone else told me i'd still get gigabit speeds.

[/quote]The £5 a pair ones at the bottom of the page, if you don't want to get into terminating the wires yourself.
http://www.netshop.co.uk/products/1655/rj45-splitters-doublers[/quote]

I have some of those splitters. I'd only use them for data.

I was more interested to see if anyone HAD split a single cable into voice and data for a sky box.

Sponsored Links
I was more interested to see if anyone HAD split a single cable into voice and data for a sky box.
Not for a Sky box, but I have split cables in various combinations* over the years - it seems that no matter how much structured cabling you put in a building, someone will manage to put more stuff into places you didn't allow for :rolleyes: I've usually made my own custom patch leads when the need arises.

Just be aware that the splitters come in different versions depending on whether you want data+data, data+voice, or voice+voice. Data (Ethernet) uses pins 123&6, voice typically uses 4&5.

* Thinking back I know I'll have done ethernet+ethernet, ethernet+voice (analogue and digital), ISDN+ISDN, and ethernet+ISDN. The ISDN would have been in our meeting room for the video conferencing unit.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back