Using Water from a Well

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I got myself a well bored due to my outragous water billls and someone mentioned to me that well water is bad for plumbing systems for that type of water will eat away at the system. for example I know several people told me in the past that well water is very bad for power wash systems etc as the water eats/corrodes it.

My main concern is in the house such as the radiators etc. Should I really be worried and is there something I can do such as add something to the water in the attic storage tank that will help treat the water in the radiators etc?

Cheers for any info.

Sponsored Links
This is interesting. Do you mind saying whereabouts you are in the UK, how deep did you have to go, how is the supply pumped to the house, how is it filtered, and how much was it?

Didn't the installers test the water as part of the install? If not I should get an analysis and then get advice on treatment, if any is required. Your heating water should be separate from other supply, and is fill-once, so a single application of Fernox or other treatment should suffice. If you need any treatment for the cold feed to the house then it can be done at the entry point.

We have water gravity fed from a spring. The water is fairly foul at the source, with a lot of sediment and veg/animal (little squiggly things up to large frogs) matter. The water is very hard, it passes through a sediment filter, gran carbon filter, and UV anti-bug steriliser, to a scale reducer. I have thought of a bore-hole to get an independent and frog-free supply.

Rgds.

I live in Northern Ireland and I got the well bored and fitted less than 2 weeks ago. I was lucky and only had to go 45ft till rock was hit and then further down to 60ft till a supply of 1000-1500gallons a minute of water was reached. My neighbours got wells bored at the same time and they live less than a mile away and they had to bore down to as far as 350ft.

Cost of well boring was £2700 and then the other folk had to get £1600 for the fitting of pump and pressurised tank. Mind you, the pump I got fitted cost well over £1000 as I want the water to be pumped to over a mile away.

I have no filter fitted yet as the water looks crystal clear and I have to give it a week or two before testing if I want that done. The only problem I have detected is the taste which is a taste of iron but that was to be expected as the water is meant to be high in iron.

I'll look into the Fernox stuff you mentioned.

Oh, I got the well to cut down on my £2500+ a year water bill but I heard today from a chap that the government are planning to put meters on wells because whats underground belongs to the government.

You can never win with them.

Kcs.

To extract water first you need an licence, then after you strike oil it is sent away for analysis.

Finally you are allowed to extract something like 40cuc/mtrs a year free of charge.

To answer the OP question, normal inhibitor should be fine in protecting the heating system.

Sorry if there's any spelling mistakes but I have double vision and am guessing what I'm typing, and I sure as hell can't read it afterwards.

Sponsored Links
Darkness wrote

£2500+ a year water bill

Can I ask what you are doing with all the water ?.
Dairy Farming ?.
And what company drilled the well ?.

I don't think I would let the government know I had a well drilled.
Their are plenty of guys up in South Armagh who would drop a hole in the ground for cash and say nowt.

Had you considered moving south of the border. Their government is not as greedy there.
State Grant Available.75% of cost of works to a maximum of £1600.00.

I dont know about the effect on dairy farming of high iron content in drinking water.

But I do know that its useless in the house as it gives brown stains on all the white bathroom stuff.

I also looked into removing the iron but thats not at all easy, in fact almost impossible on a small scale.

So we just have to live with it.

Tony

Just done a quick check and for an domestic property you are allowed 20 cubic meters a day :LOL: thats a lot of water.

Iron is good for you Tony :LOL:

ye soft Southern Jessie

175px-Irn-Bru_logo.jpg

Darkness wrote

£2500+ a year water bill

Can I ask what you are doing with all the water ?.
Dairy Farming ?.
And what company drilled the well ?.

I don't think I would let the government know I had a well drilled.
Their are plenty of guys up in South Armagh who would drop a hole in the ground for cash and say nowt.

Had you considered moving south of the border. Their government is not as greedy there.
State Grant Available.75% of cost of works to a maximum of £1600.00.

Yep Dairy Farm.

The drilling was done by a guy based in County Cavin. Not sure what name he goes under, I'll have to hoke out the invoice. I have no intention of moving and if I was selling up, I'll be putting my feet up and taking it easy till I go to my grave :D

I've noticed today that the plastic water level marker in my kettle has gone from clear to a yellow rusty colour. :(

I am actually considering that but its nice to use someone which is free than pay.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back