Vaillant 242/282 EH - Shower going hot and cold

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
How do,

i have a problem with my combi boiler, which is a vaillant 242/282 EH. Problem i have is with a mixer shower that has been fitted, in that water will run hot then cold. The shower was ok when it was first fitted aprox 6 -7 months ago. but over the last 2 - 3 months the problem has started.

I thought it may be shower at first, but having left he shower running while i sit listening / watching the boiler i have come to the conclusion it is the boiler that is at fault. Reason i have come to this is that when shower is turned on boiler kicks in, after a couple of mins the boiler swithes off and the water runs cold, short time after boiler kicks in again and water runs hot.

Any body any ideas. I am not a plumber and i don't intend carrying out any repairs my self, i just don't want to be told a cock and bull story when the plumber comes out.

Cheers in advance.

Russell

Sponsored Links
gas4you said:
what about other hot taps. do they all work ok and constant?

Yep other taps working fine. Also after reading a couple of other post i have tried running the shower with another hot tap turned on slightly, and the shower works fine. as soon as i turn the other tap off the shower will run hot and cold again.

Cheers

Russell

Sounds like a lack of flow through the shower.

Do you live in a hard water area?

Try descaling the shower head first, then look for any isolating valves for the shower pipes and make sure they are open fully.

Sponsored Links
Would you say the shower is running at the same pressure as first insalled?.
What make/model shower is it?.

Just thinking partial blockage to the shower, though it sound more like a split diaphragm. Not a major job.

Slowly turn a tap on and then measure the flow rate at which the boiler just switches on.

It should be at about 2.5 li/min.

If its significantly more than that then the diverter is starting to fail.

If the boiler comes on at 2.5 li/min then it can be because the boiler's gas valve minimum setting is too high! has it ever been PROPERLY serviced?

Tony

Problem has been solved.

There is a filter in the connector from the shower to the shower head pipe. This filter has a rubber o'ring around it. This o'ring had come loose and was blocking the filter, therefore restricting the water flow to the shower head. I have changed the o'ring and shower is working better than ever. More powerful and does not run hot or cold.

The reason i found the problem was because of the comment from 'gas4you'. This is because i was taking the shower head and pipe off to see if it needed de-scaling when i noticed the filter. So cheers for that 'gas4you'

And a big thanks to the others who offered advice.

Regards

Russell

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back