Vaillant boiler not connecting to Salus Thermostat

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
my boiler is showing as S.30 code. I have tried new batteries in my thermostat, I’ve tried taking it from it’s usual place and pairing it next to the boiler, I’ve tried turning the boiler off completely and I’ve also tried turning the receiver off but no luck so far!!! I have hot water and when I put my boiler into service mode the rads do heat up for about 10 mins. Does anyone have any other ideas I can try before I call a plumber in? My house is bloody freezing!!

Sponsored Links
Turn the salus thermostat down to as low as it can go , usually 5 degrees, leave it at that for about 10 seconds, then turn up to max and dont touch anything for about 10 seconds , and see if it binds, if it does then set back to normal

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
For some reason mine won’t go lower than 10 degrees? I’ll give it a go anyway and see what happened

Ok so I’ve just tried that and it’s still not working? Is there anything else I can try?

Sponsored Links
You haven’t accidentally knocked the timeswitch to off? Are you using good alkaline batteries?

which salus do you have ? and post a pic of the receiver and the control panel on your boiler

@ianmcd What is a Timeswitch sorry? I have a Salus RT500RF. I’ve attached a photo of the receive and boiler below. @The Novice if I’m honest, I think I just replaced it with Ikea batteries - could that be why?

Attachments

• 16B869FE-0204-4638-86C6-0F7924926549.jpeg
    16B869FE-0204-4638-86C6-0F7924926549.jpeg
    120.7 KB · Views: 487
  • B49B8799-7131-4806-B38F-C741CC7BC1CE.jpeg
    B49B8799-7131-4806-B38F-C741CC7BC1CE.jpeg
    203.5 KB · Views: 526
@ianmcd What is a Timeswitch sorry? I have a Salus RT500RF. I’ve attached a photo of the receive and boiler below. @The Novice if I’m honest, I think I just replaced it with Ikea batteries - could that be why?

It was me who asked about the timeswitch, it’s a mechanical clock and on/off/timer switch. Do you only use the thermostat to turn heating on or off, or anything else like a timer? Is it setup as a combi boiler or do you have a tank? Ikea batteries will be fine if they’re Alkaline.

@The Novice I only operate the heating through the thermostat, I’ve never come across a timer. I haven’t long moved into the property but I’m positive there isn’t one here. Yes it’s set up as a combi boiler

Ok so I’ve just tried that and it’s still not working? Is there anything else I can try?
switch the power to the boiler off for 20 seconds then turn it back on , wait about 30 seconds then repeat the same thing I told you earlier

The RT500RF have dipswitches in the receiver and transmitter, sometimes by changing the dipswitch settings and rebinding the units they will work. You need to download the instructions.

There are two lights on the receiver. Red and Green

The Red light shows that there is power present, and the Green light shows that the heating is (or should be) 'on'. [It looks to be on in your photo]

If you turn the thermostat up and down past the current room temperature, does the green light go 'on' and 'off' accordingly? Wait a few minutes each time, because the thermostat and receiver don't communicate with each other continually. If the green light does go 'on' and 'off' the thermostat is OK, but there is a problem with the receiver or boiler.

Only if the light does go 'on' and 'off' as dictated by the thermostat, and if you are capable of making a test safely you could try this. Isolate the power, access the wiring at the back of the receiver and you should see two terminals marked COM & NO. Note where the wires are connected so that you can put them back afterwards and then without disturbing the existing wires, either insert a wire to link the two terminals together, or put the wire(s) from NO into the COM terminal with the other wire(s) already there. Restore power and if the boiler works now, the receiver is faulty. if it doesn't there is a problem with the boiler, or its wiring. Don't do this test if you are not competent, or have any doubts. Any questions post back.

If the green light doesn't work as described the thermostat or receiver are at fault.

Last edited:
  • Thanks
Reactions: CBW
@stem Hey, thanks for explaining that! Ok so I’ve just had a look and if I turn the thermostat up or down the green light doesn’t go off it just continuously stays green. Shall I still look at the wires or you do you think it is definitely a fault with the thermostat/ receiver?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back