Vaillant combi age?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am buying a house that has a Vaillant 'CombiCompact' VCW GB 242 EH 31903108 (GC 4704413) fitted.

I know it's non-condensing but I'd like to know how old it is so I can decide whether to replace it now when I renovate the building or later. Can anyone decipher the date of manufacture from these numbers?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Its pretty irrelevant the exact date! Its an old design and about 10-15 years old so well due for replacement.

Tony

What do you want- an old boiler built like a brick outhouse or a modern wonder that is made from cr*p materials that will fail if you sneeze at it.

Sponsored Links
What do you want- an old boiler built like a brick outhouse or a modern wonder that is made from cr*p materials that will fail if you sneeze at it.

Perhaps he used to have a Volvo 240 but changed it for a modern plastic car!

I have had five Volvos which have all died in the last 10 years. Fine when they come to be but they die with me!

Tony

But if I knew when it was made/installed then I would know how old the rest of the system is.

Have to say it look at least 15 years old to me!

That may sound sensible to a householder!

But its not the case!

The condition of the system mostly depends on other factors than age. Namely what cleaning and inhibitors have been used.

Looking at the colour of the water will give more indication of the state of the system than an exact age in the range 10-15 years.

The boiler may well have been the second boiler so the system could be 15-50 years old. Most houses first had heating fitted during the 1960-1970s!

That would be evidenced by signs that a hot water cylinder or floor mounted boiler was fitted before the combi.

Tony

It was built in the late 60s and originally had storage radiators. Fusebox, outlets and meter still in evidence. but no heaters. Economy 7 meter still logged on the account according to nPower. So it's likely it had the wet CH installed in the last 20 years in my opinion. Has an airing cupboard but no tank as you would expect. Obviously didn't have a conventional boiler either as there is no conventional flue or damage from one.

Oh and it's drained down (repossession) so can't look at the water!

I would still like to know how old the boiler is because as you say it could be on it's second (or more) boiler, so de-coding Vaillant serial nos is still of interest to me.

Based on that its likely to be the first boiler and 10-15 years should be adequate for you to base your thoughts.

Its the old model which is relevant, not its exact age.

Rads 10 or 15 years old are not the factor, its the water treatment and the appearance as first CH systems were usually done as cheaply as possible.

Tony

the first 2 digits on the serial no will tell you its build date. Probably early 90s. Good boiler, and probably will serve for a few more years yet.

Number is 31903108 ?

I'm thinking week 31 of 1990. What do you think?

I called Vaillant for you

Sheesh the things I do when i am bored in an office

and they made this boiler between 1988 and 1995

as to your particular one they had no idea

still it is at least 14 years old

Many thanks. I couldn't be bothered to phone Vaillant as previous experience shows they have no interest in anything that isn't promoted on their website and as evidenced by their total lack of information/manuals, etc, for older boilers.

I'll stick with 1990, seems about right.

Thanks again.

Pop off the lower panel. Look towards the back at the red expansion vessel. The green label will have the date printed on it. If you can find a good Vaillant engineer keep the boiler...it may well outlast much of todays carp.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back