Vaillant Combi Boiler - Water Leak

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Vaillant Combination Boiler

My boiler has developed a water leak and after removing the cover I have located the drip coming from a joint, which can be seen in the photos.

Its not a compression joint and there are no signs of it being soldered so can anyone shed any light as to weather its something I can fix myself?

I can’t see how the copper pipe is fitted into the joint unless it’s a tight push-in fit with a rubber grommet.

Sponsored Links
You need to get a registered installer in. You've already taken a risk by removing this case so stop before you endanger yourself and/or others.

Yes, it's an o-ring seal, but as above you're not supposed to remove the cover yourself as you've compromised the boiler's room seal by doing so

Can't see the retaining clip??...Turbomax?... So you've removed the combustion chamber cover??

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the replies guys. Yes its a Turbomax. The retaining clip was removed just to take a better photo of the leak. Its just a spring clip that has now been replaced.

Regarding the outer cover. There isn't a seal on it. Its just a loose outer cover that that clips into place around the boiler. The boiler itself has a top vent that passes through the wall to the outside. None of this has been touched. As the problem was water related and not gas related I thought it would be ok to tackle it myself as I am not in anyway touching any of the gas side of things.

It is an o-ring seal which I have now replaced and cured the leak but I am taking on board your concerns regarding the taking the cover off. The first cover removed is an outer cover which as I said is loose fitting. the second cover which I'm assuming is your cause for concern is the steel cover which attaches with 4 spring clips and hides the gas jets etc.

This was immediately replaced once the water leak was fixed. Is this a problem now and are your concerns to do with the risk of carbon monoxide build up when the jets are ignited etc.?

Last edited:
Don't kid yourself with "I am not in anyway touching any of the gas side of things"

I thought it would be ok to tackle it myself as I am not in anyway touching any of the gas side of things.

If you've removed the second cover attached by the spring clips then you have very much touched the gas side of things, as this cover forms the room seal and should only be removed and refitted by an RGI.

Nobody here can say whether it is now a problem as nobody is standing in front of it and able to carry out the necessary safety checks. If there's a problem it could indeed lead to CO seeping into your house. You should turn it off immediately and get it professionally checked before you use it again

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back