Vaillant condensate trap has rust in it

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

today I cleaned the condensate trap of our EcoTec Plus 618 which is 11 years old.

The plastic is discoloured orange and there was about 4mm of black rust granules at the bottom of it.

Does this mean the burner chamber (or whatever it is called) is rusting?

Does it indicate I need to get the burner chamber replaced?

I'm disappointed that such an important part could be failing already.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Roddy

Sponsored Links
First point if you are not gas safe registered you s not be interfering with the boiler . They do discolour after time and sometimes become brittle.

First point if you are not gas safe registered you s not be interfering with the boiler . They do discolour after time and sometimes become brittle.

When did cleaning a condensate trap become a "gas safe" issue. I often repaired my previous boiler, a crappy Ocean Alpha 240p. I didn't touch anything related to the gas side of things and had been advised by gas safe plumbers that I know that I was not breaking the law.

Sponsored Links
I was curious to know if the rust implies a serious fault.

There is no way I would "tinker" with the boiler beyond checking this trap - which was shown to me by a Vaillant repair chap.....

I was curious to know if the rust implies a serious fault.

There is no way I would "tinker" with the boiler beyond checking this trap - which was shown to me by a Vaillant repair chap.....

If you removed the trap then you tinkered with it, if you dont know why that could be dangerous then you are not competent enough to be touching it in the first place.

and its not rust. Pay someone to service your boiler properly.

The internal condensate and trap is considered part of the flue.

Fair play, I hadn't realised that (or that the trap is internal- I was thinking of something outside the boiler and inline with the condensate pipe).

My (poorly) worded post was a (failed) attempt to counter the suggestion that you are not allowed to do any work on boilers unless you are gas safe (my inference).

For the record the following page on the Viessmann website which discusses the condensate trap does explicitly state that the work should only be carried out by a Gas Safe engineer.

https://www.viessmann.co.uk/heating-advice/how-to-clean-boiler-condensate-trap

to counter the suggestion that you are not allowed to do any work on boilers unless you are gas saf
Not at all ... and that's a long running discussion. As we all know DIY gas work is technically not illegal, it all comes down to whether it is safe or sensible and whether it's actually worth the risk to life and limb to save a few quid.

The condensate and trap is directly connected to the combustion chamber in the boiler and if any of that was compromised then CO could leak into the room. Not ideal.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back