Vaillant ecomax 828/2e hot water problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys hope somebody can help, I have a vaillant ecomax 828/2e around 8 years old. I turn hot water tap on and boiler fires up and temp fluctuates between 70-80 for around 3-4 mins then the temp will drop off to around 50 and just sit there, flame is on the display but I can't hear the boiler trying to heat the water. Had the bloke out who fit the boiler and he descale do some little heat exchanger (I think he called it) but made no difference, so then he said it was the temperature sensors and was supposed to come yesterday but never turned up! To be honest I don't think he knows what it is so was hopeing for some help from here, any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
When the temperature drops down press the 'I' button and it should come up with a status code S--. Report back with the status code that is displayed. It sounds like you may have circulation issues either the pump isn't running as powerful as it needs to or there is a build up of crap within the plate heat exchanger, or rubber hoses, restricting the flow causing the boiler to run on a low flame to avoid overheating.

When the temperature drops down press the 'I' button and it should come up with a status code S--. Report back with the status code that is displayed. It sounds like you may have circulation issues either the pump isn't running as powerful as it needs to or there is a build up of crap within the plate heat exchanger, or rubber hoses, restricting the flow causing the boiler to run on a low flame to avoid overheating.

Hi, first let me thank you for replying to my problem. Have turned hot water on and waited until the temp dropped down, pressed the 'I' button and the code on the display was S.14. I hope this makes sense to you.

I have another update,
If I turn a hot water tap on but only halfway the water temp fluctuates between 65-75 and stays like this and does not drop temp. Also i get different codes when I press the 'I' button, I get s.10, s.11, s.13, s.14 and s.16.

Sponsored Links
S14 is the status code for the burner being lit in hot water mode. I would expect to see this when boiler is operating correctly. This makes me think that it could indeed be a temperature sensor playing up. It may well think the hot water being produced is hotter than it actually is. I assume you have the hot water thermostat turned up to the maximum and that the dial isn't just spinning freely indicating it's not actually adjusting the temperature. It should display the temperature changing on the display as you rotate the dial.
You need to get your heating engineer back.

Yes dial is working correctly, if it was a sensor why does it work properly when I put hot tap on only halfway, and why the different codes on the display?

Just an update, had several plumbers out and none of the knew what the problem was and afew where just interested in fitting a new boiler. In the end called out vaillant themselfs for a £260 fixed price repair, only things it didn't cover was main heat exchange and expansion vessel. On first visit the engineer pointed out that the seal on the main heat exchange had never been changed in 10 years and was blowing ( had it serviced every year by someone I thought was looking after my boiler!) so he changed it, he also replaced the pump, pressure release valve and the heat exchange plate but didn't solve the problem so he told me it must be the main heat exchange and the part alone cost £400!. He phoned the office and was amazed when they said they would change it for an extra £97, so I agreed and he came out the next morning and changed it and the boiler is now working like new, seems quieter and hot water flow is faster.
So for £357 I've had around £650-£700 of parts fitted not inc any labour, all parts guaranteed for 12 months. For an independent to do this I may aswell had a new boiler, can only recommend vaillant very helpful and engineers where brilliant can tell they know the boilers inside out, there was no quibble when changing all the parts for the £260, and then to change the main heat exchange for an extra £97 was amazing, thank you vaillant I feel like I've had a new boiler.

I don't suppose it occurs to you that Vaillant won't have to buy their parts at anything like the ridiculously inflated prices they sell them to the trade for.

I don't suppose it occurs to you that Vaillant won't have to buy their parts at anything like the ridiculously inflated prices they sell them to the trade for.

Believe it or not yes it does, however from a customers point of view that is totaly irrelevant, we just want it fixed for the best price, and for the amount of parts changed for the price i paid it was a great deal and great service. Its nice to see a company passing on those savings to the customer for a change, unlike companys such as car manufacturers for instance.

They know their boilers inside out

Even though he started off replacing £300 worth of parts and it still hadn't fixed the fault.

:rolleyes:

They know their boilers inside out

Even though he started off replacing £300 worth of parts and it still hadn't fixed the fault.

:rolleyes:

Because there was no fault code and the boiler was behaving as it should apart from no hot water afew mins they simply had to eliminate the parts it was most likely would be, i had 3 plumbers out and they and any other plumber would have done exactly the same thing but would have cost me more than double the price and no doubt a week or so waiting for all the parts. Im simply saying for a problem like mine where the fault could be numerous things then its a great service at a great price.

Lol standard fault blocked hose he would have changed with the ht exch, I bet that was problem all along.. Irrelevant to u tho as u have a new boiler now practically. A good deal ....

• Thanks
Reactions: Rob
Lol standard fault blocked hose he would have changed with the ht exch, I bet that was problem all along.. Irrelevant to u tho as u have a new boiler now practically. A good deal ....

I agree bunny that customer got a good It's just a shame that a parts chucker gets such high praise and is considered to know the boiler very well.

Probably would have been a 15 minute job you

I believe that was the first thing checked by the first engineer, as far as I know he took the hose off and inspected and cleaned but he said it looked fine, also he mentioned some filter can become blocked which was also fine so then started replacing parts. You sound very knowledgable, pity you don't live local to me, the 3 plumbers I had out I could tell had no idea what it was and just wanted to fit a new one, maybe just unlucky with who I called.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back