Vaillant ecoTEC plus 428 f27, f64 & CON error

Yes, the regulator is indeed 12 v and to provide a stable reference for the analogue circuits. I too quickly suggested 24v but that was wrong!

The diodes are only on 24 vac and so any of the 1N series would work.

One of these PCBs I have uses 1N4004s.

But whilst I do like to be exact when it is relevant it is not of any relevance to this thread.

Again the value of the cap is of no consequence to this thread but as fitted is 1000uF and 35v with a temp of 85 C.

If I was replacing one then I would prefer to use a 105 C cap. If only the makers did that then they might last a little longer.

Sponsored Links
OP get a heating engineer in , not a Telly man, or buy a cheap PCB on ebay and put this drivel to bed

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
Sponsored Links
An interesting and argumentative read, I had the same problem with the exact some ecotec plus 428 and followed all disconnection advice (except the hair dryer!!) I am an electrician but wouldn't get involved with this if it wasn't my own boiler. I finally decided to replace the whole board as it just got more unreliable. I haven't done any electronics since college days thirty something years ago so I thought this the best option. The board was easy to replace with just plug connectors and a few terminals but now I realise I have to program the thing. I have tried to follow the visual picture instructions but it just keeps coming up with F73 code. HELP!!

An interesting and argumentative read, I had the same problem with the exact some ecotec plus 428 and followed all disconnection advice (except the hair dryer!!) I am an electrician but wouldn't get involved with this if it wasn't my own boiler. I finally decided to replace the whole board as it just got more unreliable. I haven't done any electronics since college days thirty something years ago so I thought this the best option. The board was easy to replace with just plug connectors and a few terminals but now I realise I have to program the thing. I have tried to follow the visual picture instructions but it just keeps coming up with F73 code. HELP!!
might need to go back to college again :ROFLMAO: , f73 is normally a cr@p connection on pcb to the pressure sensor , from memory black ,green and red but in your case you need to program it to get rid of f73 which the clue is in the manual that came with the pcb so other words RTFM :ROFLMAO:

Ha Ha, yes I do, but college wouldn't have helped. I managed to work it out and it was the device specific number which was wrong as the manual that came with the board didn't mention my old ecoTEC plus 428 so I tried all British codes they gave... It wasn't a question of reading the manual, it was finding it! Still once I searched the house and garage I did find it (the DSN was 13 if anyone has one), it fired up and ran. No soldering iron required.:cool:

Ha Ha, yes I do, but college wouldn't have helped. I managed to work it out and it was the device specific number which was wrong as the manual that came with the board didn't mention my old ecoTEC plus 428 so I tried all British codes they gave... It wasn't a question of reading the manual, it was finding it! Still once I searched the house and garage I did find it (the DSN was 13 if anyone has one), it fired up and ran. No soldering iron required.:cool:
is is in with the paperwork with the PCB , as you say it just needs finding ;) , just need to go through the different languages

My Vaillant boiler recently started displaying a message that said "Communication fault". I believe this shares the same underlying cause as the "CON ERROR". Resetting the boiler didn't resolve the issue but the following did:

1. Press the power button on the front of the boiler to turn it off
2. Switch off the power at the fused spur (mains power switch)
3. Press the power button on the front of the boiler again but DO NOT switch on the fused spur
4. Wait some time (e.g. 30m - 1h)
5. Switch on the fused spur

If done correctly then the boiler should power on at step 5 and the error message should have cleared. If it doesn't work then repeat but wait longer at step 4.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back