Vaillant ecoTEC plus 428 learnings

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I recently moved in to a property which had had a Vaillant ecoTEC plus 428 boiler installed in early 2013. It is connected to a traditional open vented system, with hot water cylinder in the bathroom upstairs, and cold water storage tank in the loft.

In recent months I have been having a few issues with the system, and just wanted to post them on here to get some feedback and see if anyone else had similar experiences.

The first problem I encountered was getting an s.53 status code when I put the central heating on. The boiler would fire up, and then stop after a few seconds. I did some research and read that these boilers require the pump to be at a high setting, so I checked my pump and moved it from setting 2 to number 3. After I did this the s.53 code went. Only to be replaced by an s.7 status code.

At the same time I was now getting a lot of air into the system, so I bled the air out of the system and found that the s.7 code went. Until the air returned overnight and the s.7 was back. I did some more reading and I read that having your pump turned up max can result in air being drawn into the system from the header tank (which I had checked was full) and so I put the pump back to 2 - guess what, no air, but back to my original problem - s.53.

I did some more reading and found out that s.53 can also be caused by the temp. differential being to big between the flow/return and that a possible solution is to turn d.0 down. So I checked d.0 and it was set to the max - 30. I turned it down to 20, and it seems to have worked. The boiler now warms up much more steadily, and their is no air being drawn into the system, and more importantly no status codes or boiler cut outs.

Not sure I have a question, but it was a bit of an ordeal which I feel I have got off my chest a bit by writing this down. Maybe it will help others. Moral is that these boilers need to be configured correctly or they will cause you grief!

Sponsored Links
Poor commissioning I'm afraid. Was the benchmark form filled out in the back of the boiler installation instructions? :rolleyes:

Effectively you have reduced the power output of your 28 kW boiler to 20 kW.

A typical three bed semi usually needs about 11 kW so if your house needs 20 kW then it must be a six bedroom detached house!

Why people oversize boilers is very difficult for me to understand! But it is very common and causes people a lot of problems and inefficient operation with a lot of unnecessary boiler on/off cycling.

Tony

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back