Vaillant ecotec plus 837 combi

Water flow into a property should be assessed dynamically. Few boiler installers realise this hence disappointments like yours.

Tony Glazier
As I was advised that the 837 was the right boiler for my requirements, my expectation is that it will produce the flow rate specified. I was quite specific that I wanted to be able to use two bathrooms simultaneously and was assured that this was the boiler for me.

Sponsored Links
The boiler will give the rated performance! Its just your water supply which will not. No installer should have fitted it without beng sure the mains supply was adequate.

No competent engineer would say that boiler will run two showers together!

OK, with two lower flow showers then "just" perhaps. But not if the kitchen sink or any other tap in the house was used.

Its safer to advise that the boiler will give ONE good shower and perhaps allow a little water from the kitchen tap at the same time.

Tony

Its safer to advise that the boiler will give ONE good shower and perhaps allow a little water from the kitchen tap at the same time.

Tony

That's about what I get. The kitchen tap can only be slightly open. Certainly not what I was lead to believe. I'm a little surprised that the water supply is a problem because I can run 2 cold taps simultaneously without significantly affecting the flow. The shower is now noticeably better than when it was gravity fed. I had reservations about getting rid of the hot water cylinder on the grounds that if the boiler breaks down there is no immersion heater as backup. I think I'll probably install an electric powered shower in the bathroom as backup.

Thanks for your reply - even if it's not what I want to hear!

Sponsored Links
although a good engineer would have gone into the boiler program and adjusted it for you ( I would have )

As far as I can tell the installer left all the settings at their default values. Setting D.36 controls the hot water flow sensor. At the moment the value is 0. Does this setting affect the l/min of hot water the boiler produces or is it the flow rate at which the boiler will start heating the water?

I have read previous posts regarding TRV's. When mine were originally fitted (19 years ago) I recall the installer telling me they worked best with the valve fitted to the return side of the radiator with the head horizontal. The advice now seems to be that they should be on the flow side. As mine always worked well with my old boiler, I am not inclined to replace them and think the flow and return connections to the boiler should be reversed to take account of them being one-way flow. Despite all the valves working well, given their age do you think they are living on borrowed time and it would be prudent to replace them?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back