Vaillant ecoTech exclusive pump overrun

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I wonder if someone could help. I have Vaillant ecoTech exclusive combiboiler just installed. It seems to be working fine but whenever I open any cold water tap or even flush the toilet, the boiler starts for 30-40 sec. without the burner actually on. The message on the display is "HW pump overrun". I wonder if this is a fault and what could be the cause.
I would be grateful for advice.
Cez44

Sponsored Links
dead leg in the hot water pipework. Speak to your installer about locating and removing the problem.

dead leg in the hot water pipework. Speak to your installer about locating and removing the problem.

Thanks for a prompt answer. Is this situation potentially harmful for the boiler? And forgive my ignorance what actally is a dead led?
Cez44

not really harmful, apart from increasing component wear. A dead leg is a redundant length of pipework thats still connected to the system. Its quite common to have these after combi conversions, but the installer should always remove them where possible to prevent this problem you have.

Sponsored Links
it fills with air and the water compresses it when you flush the compressed air pushes the water out

and the boiler thinks a hot tap is open

when the pressure levels out the air gets compressed again

and so on and on and on ;)

Eventually the air usually dissolves but that can take several weeks.

O² dissolves quickly but the N takes a long time.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back