Vaillant GB 242 combi

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, first post so excuse me if i don't make sense, Combi is a Vaillant GB 242 EW, has a drip coming from somewhere in the boiler, approx 1/4 to 1/2 mug of water, only when cold, ie overnight at this time of year, pressure is fine during the day when boiler is on and no sign of a drip anywhere, when boiler is off pressure is down from 1.2 bar to 0.5 bar, the thing is refilling via the filling loop takes literally a turn on of the valve for a second or two and the pressure is back to 1.2, turning a tap on for the same length of time wouldn't fill a mug with water. My question is this small drip the cause of the pressure drop?

Sponsored Links
If you're losing ¼ to ½ cup of water you will only need the same to repressurise it, and the chances are curing this leak will solve the problem.

Sponsored Links
Your boiler is probably 12-16 years old and getting close to the end of its life although they are still quite repairable, at a cost.

I have a feeling that you may not have had annual servicing which, when done properly, will identify any leakage at an early stage.

Tony

Agile, boiler is 17 years old and has been serviced every year, my reason for asking about the drip is all due to the world renowned BG. last Nov called them out as we have a service contract with them, I had been on this excellent forum and knew that with the pressure shooting up to 3 bar, prv letting out water and then no pressure once heating was off, the EV was needing pressurised or was knackered, rang them, fitter came out EV was indeed broken, not worth repairing as boiler had to come off wall etc. After various arguements and thanks to this forum a trip to screwfix and I fitted a new EV, valves etc onto the filling loop connection. Heating worked perfectly untill 2 weeks ago. No hot water, BG out again, heat exchanger was leaking and water section wasnt flipping the servo switch, (I sound like i know what i am talking about, but its all thanks to you guys on this forum). Back to my story, BG couldn't get the parts as they are no longer made, my boiler is kaput.(could fit a new boiler the next day though). Well two minutes on the internet and the parts are available (boilersparepartsdirect.co.uk) Played holy hell with BG and they suddenly found the parts were available and repaired the boiler 3 days later. As us jocks are a bit fiesty at times i cancelled the BG service contract after they repaired it. So to cut a short story long, I was just ensuring that my theory of refilling for one to two seconds was okay.

If it's on the lhs that's where dhw ht exch is,is that the one they changed? If it's a black plastic part that's dripping it's still got the old ht exch type u cannot mend them u need the new steel replacement

PS
I wasn't going to say this, but since you guys give your advice to all and sundry for free i thought i would give you a laugh. Before my hot water had stopped working i had gone out and gotten some quotes for a new boiler, as agile stated it was coming to the end of its life, well i ended up with the local valliant approved installer, new ecotec plus 831 on order, installation date sorted for two weeks time. Since spat with BG, have a bleedin boiler with new HE, new water section, diverter valve changed 2 years ago, new EV, theres nothing left to break LOL. Or is there?

I am on here nearly everyday just to read the posts and try and learn something although i'm not a plumber, hence the lack of posts. Anyway had new boiler fitted after 16 years with the old VC242, it was working well but for how long? New ecotec 831 fitted, TRVs, Honeywell wireless thermostat etc. I cannot believe the difference, bedroom now not too hot, wireless thermostat one click and it sets the heating away, using i reckon £4 to £5 a week less gas. smaller and quieter than old one. lot more hot water. Will it last 16 years????

Fitted around 50 or 60 of these 831 ecotecs over the last 4 years odd , only been called back on two of them , both were leaking on the rear rubber hoses , Vaillant seem to of sorted this problem as the last 3 odd i've fitted have been modified.

Great boilers as far as i'm concerned. :mrgreen:

I am surprised that BG would not fit an external EXV to your old boiler.

Once I was called to one they had fitted but failed to set the air pressure correctly so it was not absorbing expansion. An easy £84 for that visit.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back