vaillant. no hot water in taps

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i just replaced my diverter valve on my boiler. after finally locating my refill loop valve i refilled the boiler to a pressure of around 1.5. the radiators work fine as do the cold water taps but no water at all comes out of the hot taps or shower.

Sponsored Links
i just replaced my diverter valve on my boiler. after finally locating my refill loop valve i refilled the boiler to a pressure of around 1.5. the radiators work fine as do the cold water taps but no water at all comes out of the hot taps or shower.

If no water is coming out of the taps then you have somehow turned off the mains water supply into the boiler !

Tony

Sponsored Links
If it's a vaillant then make sure BOTH taps for the filling loop are closed. If you leave the right hand side one open and the left one closed NO water will come out the taps :LOL:

HTH Sam

i didn't realise there was two. there seem to be a number of valves under the boiler. i tried all of them but they didn't do anything. i'm sure i returned them to their original position

Ecotec?

If so then starting from the left you have.

22mm flow pipe, 15mm hot pipe, 15mm gas pipe (should increase to 22mm fairly close by) 15mm cold and on the far right the 22mm return.

Look at the valve which connects the 15mm cold pipe to the boiler. There are 2 valves on this body. Make sure the grey tap read's CLOSED as you look at it and the screwdriver slot (also accepts an allan key) is OPEN i;e the slot is facing front to back (rather than left to right)

HTH Sam

right. on the label inside it says turbomax vuw gb242/2-5
turbomax plus 824 e

on that pipe furthest away from the boiler there is a brass valve shaped like a block. it has a turn valve on it that accepts a flat screwdriver and also has a hole in the middle. this is the one i use to fill the boiler.

after that there is another brass valve with a flat slot.

now taking the front off the boiler, above that there is a round piece witha plastic front and a square hole in it and attached to that pointing up is what looks like another place to put a screwdriver

What pipes 'that' pipe?

The pipe arrangment i described is the same for your boiler.

To be honest i am amazed you managed to change the diverter valve without getting soaking wet without knowing which pipe is which! :LOL:

You need to be looking at the cold water inlet valve which is 15mm and 4th from the left. There are 2 valves on the main inlet valve body. One must be open, the other must be closed. There are only 2 combinations so you have a 50/50 chance of getting it right first time!

Failing that you may have done something beyond internet diagnoses to affect the boiler's working and will require an engineer to have a look.

HTH Sam

no it's ok i've sorted it!!!

but...

...now the water takes a while to heat up. it gets nice and hot then the gas goes out and it goes cold again. it hovers between 18 and 35 degrees for about 3 mins then the boiler fires up and it gets hot again for a short while then back down again.

we had no motor on the diverter valve for about 3 years so we changed it manually with pliers and could fool it into thinking it was powering the heating and could get a nice hot shower. now we can't even do that

It will be no cheaper to have it repaired now that when it first became faulty. Are you just plain mean or...?

Did you change the whole valve or just the motor?

Where did you get the new valve?

What size are the four holes around the outside?

Did you remember to reconnect the plug on the motor?

Can you hear it stepping?

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back