Vaillant turbomax 28e intermittant fault

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Our boiler keeps tripping out every now and again and needs resetting.
Its recently been serviced by a engineer and I have also stripped it down and given it a good clean and hoover out (burner,HE,fan etc..) but it is still doing it. It also had a small leak on the joint of the pipe that feeds into the HE but I have fixed that as well. I think that it mainly happens when the CH is on.

I asked the engineer about it and he said that it was because the heating was set to max temp and to turn it down a little bit, did this but it still tripped out

What is the best way to find out what is causing the fault?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
sorry don't know what an rgi is?
I've no interest in paying anyone to come round to look as the last couple who have been have been useless/liars/etc...
I am more than competant at replacing any of the internal parts.
Also, another thing I just remembered is that the expansion vessel is broken, I keep recharging it but the pressure keeps falling on it. I know this needs replacing but would rather not due to cost and fact we are looking to move house. Could this cause the boiler to trip out?

RGI = registered gas installer
What makes you competant to work on gas (other than thinking you are)?

Sponsored Links
I'm not competant to work on gas and wouldn't. however I am competant to replace a expansion vessel or clean out a HE or change an air pressure valve etc... which I am fairly certain the problem lies with one of these non gas components.
As explained above, I've already had 2 rgi's round and were both useless and a waste of money, I had to fix one of the repairs one of them did myself he was that bad! so answers like "get an rgi round" are about as usefull as a chocolate fireguard.
I was hoping to draw on the vast experience of the large amount of very knowlegable people that post on here, maybe someone has had this similar fault on a vallaint or other boiler and knows what the problem is?

I have also stripped it down and given it a good clean and hoover out (burner,HE,fan etc..)
I'm not competant to work on gas and wouldn't. however I am competant to clean out a HE or change an air pressure valve
:eek:

Also, another thing I just remembered is that the expansion vessel is broken, I keep recharging it but the pressure keeps falling on it. I know this needs replacing but would rather not due to cost and fact we are looking to move house.

Two points that arise from what you said above. One seems to be that you dont want to call a competent RGI because you dont want to spend your money.

The other is that you seem to want to sell your house with a faulty boiler! Unless you disclose that information in the sale particulars you could find that you are liable for the cost of ( professionally ) repairing the boiler whent he purchasor finds the house was sold with a faulty boiler.

Tony

As previously stated at least twice, I have already had an rgi round to fix the problem who insisted that it just needed recharging and everything was fine despite my protests. I would quite happily pay for a good rgi to come round and fix my problem, unfortunately finding a good one seems to be very difficult. I have also had the boiler serviced very recently and have been told its in excellent working order so what do I know?

Bunnyman, thanks for your mature comment, very useful.
I thought this was a DIY forum.

Does anybody think that a faulty expansion vessel could cause the boiler to trip out?

You say that you keep recharging the expansion vessel.

If you are doing that correctly then it only needs to be done once every 5-10 years.

So the assumption is that its faulty OR you have not done it correctly, see the FAQ.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back