Vaillant turbomax 824e radiators upstairs not heating up

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I have a problem with a Vaillant Turbomax 824e.

I have 10 radiators all between 600-1000mm long. One downstairs by the front door, 7 on the first floor (where the boiler is) and 2 upstairs. The problem is the 2 upstairs will not heat up. One of them used to work but doesnt anymore, im not sure if the other has ever worked. If I turn all the other radiators off they do both come on.

I cant balance the system properly because most of the valves have had it (i can only turn the lockshield side off at best) I have had a new pump fitted as it sounded like it was on the way out, but still the upstairs dont even heat up slightly.

Is the boiler under-powered? or could there be something else? Just wanted to see if anyone had any other ideas.

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
With the info you have supplied I would look towards your valves at the moment, all rad valves must work properly for the radiators to work properly you say you have lock shields on one side what do you have on the other ?

TRVs on the other, which are ancient and most of the heads are broken so they are stuck open fully, i should have said I replaced the valves on the radiators that arent working upstairs as I thought this a probable cause, but like I said they work if I turn some others off.

Two things come to mind, assuming the rad valves are working ok your system needs flushing or your sequence of balancing is not right.

Sponsored Links
the system has been drained off and filled up about 3-4 times now, we even had some system cleaner in there for a couple of days, all the other rads heat up instantly so i dont think sludge is too much of a problem (although it probably could do with a powerflush). Balancing wise I start with the closest radiator to the boiler and work my way round. But like I said I can only balance on the lockshield side so maybe all the vlave should be replaced and try again. Just wanted to find out if there could be anything else!

Many system cleansers need a few weeks to work!

I have not found the cheap ones to be much good.

In any case they are chellating agents and dont dissolve oxides, merely to loosen it to enable it to be flushed in suspension.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back