Vaillant Turbomax running erratically

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello again, I have another problem I am hoping you can help with.

I have a Vaillant Turbomax (Plus?) combi just 6 years old. Being untechnical I have never used the automatic timer to run it, just switched on manually when required.

For some months the hot water has been temperamental, sometimes running cold and necessitating me to press the "Ignition" button, sometimes several times. Also sometimes the radiators heat up as well, although I have the central heating switched off!

I had the boiler serviced in May this year but the problem has not improved.

Is it possible I have the settings wrong? I have never had a boiler of this type before, in fact this is my first central heating system ever, and I don't really know what I am doing. In fact, I am a bit scared of it. :cry:

I attach a pic of the settings as I have them at the moment.

DSC01654.jpg

Please, is there A Nice Gasman out there who can reassure me and possibly teach me how to operate this combi? [/img]

Sponsored Links
Get someone in to check the diverter valve and air pressure switch (usually the cause). About £120 parts and an hours work plus safety checks.

Thanks, Gasguru. Would it be dangerous to keep running it like this? What would happen if I did?

Plenty or T'max Plus's run like that for years until their owners finally get fed up with them and get it repaired. Be prepared for a few F errors popping up on the display..the flow/return thermistors will be the next parts to replace (about £30) easy job.

Sponsored Links
Thank you for putting my mind at rest. I'll just carry on like this then till I can save up to get it sorted.

matahari said:
Thank you for putting my mind at rest. I'll just carry on like this then till I can save up to get it sorted.

Get it fixed now if you need it for heating over xmas and holidays :idea:

Gasguru said:
....the flow/return thermistors will be the next parts to replace (about £30) easy job.

Gasguru said:
Get someone in to check the diverter valve and air pressure switch (usually the cause). About £120 parts and an hours work plus safety checks.
£120 + £30 plus hours work ? £220 ?? for aps diverter and thermistors ?

The APS usually fails six months after the diverter.

The APS is about £65.

We would charge about £178 inc to replace the diverter in the London area.

Tony

onion_soup said:
£120 + £30 plus hours work ? £220 ?? for aps diverter and thermistors ?

Are you saying £220 for those three parts is expensive. Sounds like a bargain to me...

£120 for the diverter and APS.

Its a long time since I've done them as most will have been changed by now but from memory the diverter was about £80 and the APS about £30 so my £120 estimate should cover it. Then its only an hours work to replace the valve and APS. I'd also replace the AAV (£3.00 to me at bulk price) and re-charge the expansion veesel. Add the usual safety checks on the boiler. I will also check the rest of the gas installaton as per the guidelines to cover myself. Obviously this may take extra time. Travelling time is normally minimal for me so a standard callout (£60.00) covers it.

The reallity is most customers will have each part fitted seperately when each fault occurs adding significant addition labour costs. Suggesting all three are done at the same time will lead to accusations of being a "parts swapper" :D

I wonder if someone can tell me what they think of the settings I have made? As I am just on my own I don't have the hot water set to continuously heating up, to keep costs down.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back