Vaillant TURBOmax VUW 242/1 E,282/1 E

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello engineers

Got a problem with the above boiler not firing up. A mate brought a house which had been empty for about 5 months so boiler was not used in this time. I changed the rads for him and all seemd to work fine for a couple of days. However tonight he tried the hot water, worked fine for a few mins, then boiler shut down. Turned on heating, again fine for a few mins, then boiler shut down again.

I've tried the manual reset several times, works for a few mins then shuts down again.

I have noticed that on the pressure gauge, the temperate dial does not appear to work, its been like this since the house was purchased. Even when the heating was on for several hours yesterday, the temperature dial did not move at all. However i was able to control the temperature of the central heating using the heating control dial on the left of the boiler. Could the temp guage be whats causing the boiler to shut down?

Here is a pic, i have drawn the white arrow
:D

Any tips on what I could try to rectify this? had a read online and it sounds like it may be an issue with the gas valve, in which case need to get an RGI out. But would like to try any other fixes before I do this.

Sponsored Links
The temperature guage on the front is just shows what the temperature of the water is and doesn't affect how the boiler works at all.

Can you give more details on what is happening with the light sequence on the left hand side and also if the heating and/or hot water begin to heat up in the time that the boiler is firing.

How long does the boiler fire for? A few mins or few secs

The temperature guage on the front is just shows what the temperature of the water is and doesn't affect how the boiler works at all.

Can you give more details on what is happening with the light sequence on the left hand side and also if the heating and/or hot water begin to heat up in the time that the boiler is firing.

How long does the boiler fire for? A few mins or few secs

If i turn hot tap or heating on,nothing happens n the burner lock out light comes on. If i try n reset boiler via central heating swith, it goes from heating light, to fqn light, then ignition light, thn tries to f8re up but no flame shows up, thn goes to red error light, burner lock out.

Sponsored Links
If it's the /1e version with the honeywell gas valve then you need to check that you have gas going to it, that you have 240v coming off the pcb to the gas valve.

It might be the gas valve but can possibly just be the diode in the gas valve lead that has failed

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back