Vaillant turbomax

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hope someone can help. I've had numerous problems with this boiler and it's only 5 years old. I've had two visits from the engineer who installed it in the past three months. First visit they couldn't find the fault, but charged me £70 for the visit. three weeks later they said it was the fan, had to order that and I paid a bill for £400.

Seems to be a different fault every time... it either won't start, or stops (very nasty when in the shower!).

The problem I'm having now is that it seems to be going off more often. won't go on at all last night, and the dial was going towards red, so I switched it off completely and it worked when I put it on tonight. It's now stopped, no lights at all, and showing S30 as an error code.

I did call the engineers a few weeks ago to say it still wasn't working, but they said another visit would entail another £70 call out charge. I'm very loathe to pay them any more.

Any ideas? I'd be so grateful as I'm in Scotland and it's very cold! (and I have a sink full of dishes!)

Sponsored Links
get someone in who will give you a proper diagnosis and wont rip you off like the current "engineer,

seems you paid too much to still have cold showers :cry: :p

Sponsored Links
S.30 No heating demand from external controls

S.30 No heating demand from external controls (clamp 3-4
open)
S.31 Central heating thermostat knob turned off or no heat
demand by the eBUS control unit
S.32 Heat exchanger antifreeze active, as fan speed variation
is too high. Appliance is within the waiting time of
the operation block function
S.34 Antifrost mode active
S.36 No heating demand from low voltage controls (clamp
7-8-9)
S.42 Response from accessory modul or defective condensate
pump is blocking burner operation
S.53 Appliance is within the waiting period of the operation
block function due to water shortage (VL-RL spread too
big)
S.54 Appliance is within the waiting period of the operation
block function due to water shortage (temperature
gradient)
S.76 Appliance is within the waiting period of the operation
block function due to water shortage (water pressure
sensor)
S.96 Return-sensor check is running, demand (DHW or heating)
is blocked
S.97 Waterpressure sensor check is running, demand (DHW
or heating) is blocked
S.98 Flow-/Return-sensor check is running, demand (DHW or
heating) is blocked

Thanks Bob - any idea what that means?

Oops, we cross posted - is this something I can fix myself?

Thanks Bob - any idea what that means?

Oops, we cross posted - is this something I can fix myself?

Its easy if i could get to copy from adode reader what you need to know but i cant copy and paste diagrams on to here from there.

So that would be just short of £700 worth of repairs in the space of not yet three months :cry: I only installed the system five years ago at a cost of £5k and it's only a little house!

Wish I'd taken British Gas cover - didn't think I'd need it with such a new boiler. It was a godsend in my old house but that was an ancient system

S.30 means it sitting doing nothing....have you got the timer switch to on...perhaps to the sun position????

What happens when you run a tap??

if the needle is going toward the red then the expansion vessle is going flat and needs to be pumped up again (see the FAQ)

You guys are so helpful - wish there was a thanks button or something. Sincerely -thanks for taking the time.

Superduper - I've moved the timer on and the boiler has fired up. I'm now getting hot water; heating hasn't come on yet but I'll give that a few minutes.

how do I find the FAQs?

I now have f20 and the red light on... no heating or hot water.

got this from another website

F.20 Water safety thermostat supply or return NTC defective (intermittent contact),
supply temperature too high, earth connection of the cable harness to
the appliance not correct,
failed discharge to the electrode via ignition cable, ignition plug or ignition
electrode

any ideas?

hi, it's your call in the end but i suggest you get someone in to have a look (a reputable engineer who will diagnose the fault and give you price for repair)

it seems it could be something small by the fault description above ,engineer should know,, can't say how much he'll charge to diagnose and fix,,

it shouldnt be as much as your "engineer"charged you for doing nothing for £70 :eek:

if it's an NTC they are around £15+vat,
anything lik leads etc will probably also be low cost parts,
it might be your gas valve needs checking and setting up correctly,
leaving Engineer's labour to pay,

it's your decision end of the day

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back