Vaillant turbomax

Thanks, newgas.

The company I've been using are the heating and plumbers who installed the whole system. Can I just get a Corgi gas man to look at it? Had my kitchen done recently and the team who did it were great- fab job, tidied up after them and charged reasonably. They had a corgi fitter who removed and replaced the cooker.

I sometimes think tradesmen see women living on their own as an opportunity to charge like the light brigade....that's when they turn up at all!

Edited to add it's F28 not F20..

Sponsored Links
can't find anyone who will come out before Monday....

Found a leaking radiator - will that have anything to do with it? Is it just a case of tightening it?

if you have a leaking rad then prob your pressures down. hence needle into the red, causing the boiler to overheat and lockout. try topping up the boiler using the filling loop after youve sorted the leak out.

yes but if you try doing it yourself you might put pressure on wrong way
and make it worse ,

have you not got anyone who knows a little bit about plumbing who could help :)

i havent got manual to hand so dont know what f28 is but your problem will be reduced if not sorted by stopping leak first then topping boiler up,

sometimes thats as simple as it gets ;)

i hope you get it sorted quick as it is a bit cold lately :D

Sponsored Links
I think I've identified the screw on the radiator that's the cause of the leak and I'd like to try and tighten/reseal it (in the hope that fixing the leak will help with the system pressure). Problem is I can't get the decorative end plate off the left hand side of the radiator!

This plate seems to slip over the top screw and at the bottom where the radiator connects to the pipe coming out of the floor but it's not at all obvious how I get the plate off as the gaps in the end plate are smaller than the fitting the screw is screwed into.

It seems like there is a plastic insert that I should remove but I can't see how I can remove it.

Can anyone help? Thanks.

Ok - sorted the leak!

What now? Not sure what is meant by "topping boiler up"?

(My brother is a plumber believe it or not but not answering my calls or emails! And he lives 200 miles away so not going to be much use)

look under the boiler and you will see a stainless steel braided hose, you should then see a small black handel which is a key way,turn the key half a turn, watch the pressure increase on the dial, if the key is not inserted you will have to put a screw driver in the slot and turn to increase the pressure,
:rolleyes:

Thanks Bobw, I found it and the key was already inserted.

What I forgot to say though was that the pressure seems to be too high not too low. The needle is nearly up to the max (3) and the dial suggests that between 1 and 2 is the normal range?

Is there a way to release some pressure - I've read elsewhere about a pressure release value and it looking like a tyre valve where you can press the small button in the middle to release pressure but I can't see anything obvious resembling that under the boiler?

No don,t touch that valve looking like a tyre valve that is on the expansion vestle, dont use the PRV (pressure relief valve either) they are prone to leak after, release pressure at a radiator if you have drain valves, if not at the air bleed valve on the radiator,

Thanks again Bobw, your help is very much appreciated. :)

Okay, I won't touch any valves and I'll just bleed all the radiators, fingers crossed!

Guys - thank you so much. I now have a lovely warm house and hot water.
Bleeding the radiators worked - got the pressure back down to 1.5 and boiler fired up as normal.

Thanks again - can't tell you how much your generous help is appreciated.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back