Vaillant Vantage H/W Stat

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just purchased a new house (well 11+ years old).

I appear to have a problem with the h/w stat.
Whenever the H/W timer is in a timed period the boiler is making a noise, even if it's had plenty of time to heat the water.

I have hot water ok.

Surly this is not correct. I assume a problem with the h/w stat ?

Is that the black dial ontop of the cylinder ?

It is just a 3 wire connection Com, No, Nc contacts ? Does anyone know the wire colours ?

Do the dial numbers equate to some temperature, if so, whats a good/normal setting ?

Anyone have any suggestions or common problems with this system.

Thanks very much for your help.

10022012831.jpg

Sponsored Links
The boiler thermostat will need to be on 70C or above to heat the Vantage correctly. Otherwise if it's say on 50C and the Vantage stat is on 5-6 the hot water thermostat will never be satisfied. This means the boiler runs all the time it's timed too. I can count on one hand the number of Vantage thermostats I've ever changed!

Set your boiler to 70C, your Vantage to 5 and your boiler will heat the cylinder in around 30 minutes and turn off. For added efficiency you can also time your hot water to turn on 1 hour before any heating comes on. This will ensure better operation of each function.

You may also need to replace the Pressure reducing valve soon as its badly leaking. So you know this is only a job for an engineer who is registered to work on unvented hot water systems.

Hope that helps

Sponsored Links
Yes, I expect thats the problem.

Its actually quite common because people dont realise that a differential of about 10 C is required for the boiler above the cylinder.

Not helped by the fact that the standard cylinder thermostat scale setting is totally impossible to accurately set.

Tony

Heating does work on its own.

What does a yellow light on the boiler mean? Bet it's not good

Seams to be on when it's running. I guess it's the pump I can hear on the first post.

How do I change the boil temP.

Thanks very much for your help.

I'm assuming the boiler was put in along with the Vantage and its a Vaillant ;) Its probably a Turbomax system boiler with a light grey fascia, in which case the yellow LED shows the burner is on.

The RADIATOR temperature dial (bottom knob) should be approx 3/4 of the way round (pointing to '3 O'Clock) thats approx 70C. The HOT WATER dial has NO function on your set up, and is used on European systems. You can ignore it and set it at minimum.

Possibly your boiler has a black fascia, in which case instructions are the same, but the knobs are green and the RADIATOR knob is the top one. Set this to 7. Theres also many yellow LEDs, just to confuse matters
:D

ok, so I will move the bottom dial to 3 o'clock and adjust the cyl stat to 5

Thanks for everyone's help.

I though I needed to use the buttons under the LCD display.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back