C/H or H/W switches off after 10 to 15 mins.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My setup is: room thermostat (just has "LifeStyle" on the cover), digital timer ("LifeStyle LP241"), "Potterton Suprima 50" gas boiler. Everything was there when I bought my house, which was 9 years ago, so the kit is 9+ years in age.

I normally have the digital timer set to the "ON" position for the C/H and "OFF" position for the H/W:

- When I need C/H I just adjust the dial on the thermostat so that the boiler fires up.

- When I want to turn off the C/H, I adjust the thermostat to zero and the boiler turns off.

-When I need H/W I set the timer to "ON". Basically I don't use the timer as a timing device, just an on/off switch.

Everything has worked faultlessly until recently. Now, whenever I switch either H/W or C/H from cold, the boiler will work for about 10-15 minutes and then switch itself off. The red temperature light on the boiler will blink. The boiler will not switch back on until I wait about 15-20 minutes and press the reset on the boiler.

Other than the problem described, the hot water system seems to work fine.

What could be the cause ? The thermostat - it seems to get the most use, because it's switched up and down as I need the C/H on/off ? If it is the thermostat, why would it affect the H/W ?

I can't work it out. Please help.

Sponsored Links
Jackthom, that thread is really useful.

I was planning to get a Wickes replacement room thermostat and install, but have scrapped that idea given what I've read. You've saved me from looking at the wrong thing and wasting time. Thanks !

I'll take a look at the PCB this evening to see what it looks like.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back