Vaillant VCW GB 242 EH - No Hot Water

Sponsored Links
If the unit in the picture was leaking (where is it leaking from- I would be checking that out first) you would not have heating or hot water.

Function of this unit is to fire the burner if there is sufficient water pressure in the system.

I fail to get my head round the problem of burner firing for hot water, but failing to deliver hot water yet flow pipe getting hot.

If you want to replace the part in the picture it is known as the flow switch part number 475718

I would be looking to get proffessional help as this boiler is not easy to repair. One has to know how it functions, establish why it is doing what it is not supoosed to and finally how to dismantle to effect repairs.

VCW series is like a Citreon DS on which a lot of work was done by hydraulics. On the VCW, pumped water does the same.

It is leaking from here:

CIMG2123-1.jpg

As mentioned the flow pipe for the CH was getting hot, not the DHW

It's all working now so I guess the sudden leakage must have had something to do with it surely?

any suggestions?

it's really p'ing me off now especially with the cold and the fact I have a 5mth old baby which means lots of washing up required

Sponsored Links
Just to add further info

the DHW seems fine when the CH is in demand but when just DHW is called for the majority of the heat seems to go to the CH system.

Could it be something that needs adjusting? Diverter valve faulty?

Hi, does anyone have a manual for the above boiler. I think I've tracked down the problem to a safety pressure valve that is sticking open and emptying the system but the plumber who came round said you cant cant get the parts any longer and I'd need a new system. I need the part number so I can search the net and see if I can find a part. Otherwise I'm looking at 2k for a new bolier!!

Just to add further info

the DHW seems fine when the CH is in demand but when just DHW is called for the majority of the heat seems to go to the CH system.

Could it be something that needs adjusting? Diverter valve faulty?

check the servo valve and water section for correct operation first

Hi, does anyone have a manual for the above boiler. I think I've tracked down the problem to a safety pressure valve that is sticking open and emptying the system but the plumber who came round said you cant cant get the parts any longer and I'd need a new system. I need the part number so I can search the net and see if I can find a part. Otherwise I'm looking at 2k for a new bolier!!

yes ive just sent it to [email protected] :eek:

if the prv is leaking it can be replaced

and get the expansion vessel precharge checked as well

The servo valve seems to have two clicks. The first click sets off the burners the second click seems to move the diverter valve.

Playing about with it sometimes the second click is not made and no HW.

I guess it needs adjustment as if I run the water and push the cam by hand then voila HW??

This is the microswitch I am referring too:

PhotoViewer.aspx

Should there be two seperate 'clicks' when the servo valve is operated? And the second click gives a signal to move the diverter valve to the right?

If I push the lever of the switch by hand then burners fire but the diverter valve does not move.

If I move the cam against the lever then the burners fire and diverter valve moves out to right.

Does this mean the microswitch is kaput? Or does it mean it needs adjusting? Not really wanting to remove the whole servo valve just to adjust.

Is there an easier method?

Hi

related question, how quickly should the diverter valve move back to the CH position after HW has been switched off?

I have been having issues with the boiler not giving CH. The fan and pump go but the boiler doesn't light. HW is fine though. I noticed the diverter 'pin' was stuck out after the HW was drawn. It is now returning and the micro swtich(s) connect and so CH fires up but it takes a minute or 2 to move (and then there is the in built delay before firing up).

If this an issue with the diverter valve itself or with the pressure from the servo valve which appears to be working ok.

many thanks

I have now replaced the pressure valve

repressurised the system but it sounds like there's a load of air in the DHW system. It wont fire up and makes a loud 'gurgling' sound then the red warning light comes on. What is the correct way to bleed this?

Pressure is at 2bar

Now the servo control valve microswitch doesn't even make contact! Due to air in system perhaps?

Please help asap

Gareth, You started this thread on 24th November last year and last post was written on 24th January. If this was my boiler, and we had a wee baby in the cot and boiler was acting up like yours I hasten to add my wife would have put me 6 feet under and a new boiler on the wall.

Looked at the thread again. I have copied and pasted some of the info to get better handle on the situation.

Point A
Wrote "Is the diverter (under the pump) moving to the right for hot water and left for CH (look at the microswitches under the plastic cover)?

Leave the water section alone. If when boiler is not supplying heating, running a hot tap starts the boiler, then water section is fine."

What is the answer?

What I am trying to establish here, is correct operation of Servo control valve

Point B
Your answer is
yes both of those are working fine

Point C
If I push the lever of the switch by hand then burners fire but the diverter valve does not move.

If I move the cam against the lever then the burners fire and diverter valve moves out to right.

Does this mean the microswitch is kaput? Or does it mean it needs adjusting? Not really wanting to remove the whole servo valve just to adjust.

If the answer at point A was
yes both of those are working fine

You would not be asking the question at point C

Function of the servo valve is to channel low and high pressure pumped water to the diverter valve which in turn is positioned for required diversion of primary water.

It seems you want to change parts on the boiler which have no bearing on the fault, thus creating bigger problems for yourself, present one being a case in point.

Sounds like your water section is faulty, it may be just the diaphagm, why not bite the bullet and get a pro in on a no fix no fee basis.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back