Valiant VCW GB 242

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, ive been having a problem with my boiler, when i moved in it was working fine everything fired up, then one day the gas board decided to dig up the street and turn our gas off, gas was turned back on but within a couple of weeks the boiler stopped working, as soon as you switch it on it sounds as though everything is fine but when it comes to fire up it clicks a few times and then the ignition fault light comes in. hopefully someone can help, many thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
I have also taken the front cover off and notcied that there are 2 lights that come on when it is switched on, 1 is yellow the other green, is this right?

symptons sounds like it is one of the boards that has gone the and the exact name of it escapes me just now. Will check in morning an put name of it and part number onto this message.

The board is called Flame supervision device vaillant part number 10-0555

Sponsored Links
piece of cake to change but needs someone to be face on to diagnose it properly because board is around £100.

Isn't this the one with a manual reset o/h stat of the flow pipe towards bottom left?

Its cheaper to reset that first than buy and fit a PCB and have to reset it later.

Tony

I would be inclined to get someone to look at the boiler before embarking on purchase of PCBs (these items certainly get a bad name). Wish I were a fly on the wall when a PCB is replaced to make no difference to boiler operation.

Yellow light is suggesting ignition stage has been reached and green indicates full flame demand (i.e. not modulated flame)

Agile said:
Isn't this the one with a manual reset o/h stat of the flow pipe towards bottom left?

Its cheaper to reset that first than buy and fit a PCB and have to reset it later.

Tony

How do i reset this? If so what do i have to look for?

Looking at boiler you will see pump(silver round part) Behind pump is black plastic button.press in.Also check you have enough water in boiler itself,as well as heating section.Try bleeding the boiler using bleed nipples located at various points. (Brass coloured) Regards J

Looking at boiler you will see pump(silver round part) Behind pump is black plastic button.press in

musta buggered this one up on install cos the pump is on the right and the o/h stat is on the left on the bottom pipework :rolleyes:

Overheat cut off device is behind pump,perhaps you might look it up.

tried all of the above, still goes through the motions and after about 10 seconds of trying to ignite( you can here the clicks) the flame failure ligth comes on.

Right providing gas on an other appliances ok.. God dont tell a diyer to do this i can hear them shout pop inner case off and have a lighter ready let it start ignition sequence and start sparking put a lighter to burner if it don`t light it is more than likely board i have said if it does light it is spark gap..

If it was the over heat stat it would not reach the ignition stage...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back