Valliant EcoTec Plus Boiler - High Pitched Whine

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Please can someone try and help me figure out what is causing this high pitched whining. I have tried bleeding and balancing the system but still no joy.

System:
Vailliant EcoTec Plus Combi Gas Boiler
5 x Hudevad radiators of varying size with thermostatic valves
Chrome towel rail in bathroom

Problem:
Boiler makes a high pitched whine, shortly after startup or whilst the heating is on, it is a consistent whine in sound and occurs pretty regularly.

The problem has only come about since i noticed the rads weren't getting hot in certain rooms, mainly the bathroom so i tried bleeding and balancing the system.

When bleeding I found no air pockets in any of the rads.

When i balanced the system the heating worked perfectly for about a week or so and then the whining started.

I have tried re-bleeding and balancing the system but it has made no difference.

I have tried different levels of pressure in the system but it makes no difference.

Two of the rads are cold at the bottom and hot to very hot at the top.

The system was only installed in Feb / March of this year as part of a house renovation. I don't know if the plumber flushed the old system as part of the install process. I would have hoped so, but I can't say for sure either way.

I have read on the forum that it could be a water lubricated bearing??? causing the whine. If so, is this something I can fix or do I need to get a plumber out. If so, no problem, just need to know either way.

With the rads, being cold at the bottom, is this caused by sludge?

I hope there is enough info here for someone to be able to suggest what might be the problem or what I can try as I am losing my patience with it and the whine noise is driving me mad.

Thanks in advance for any help and suggestions.

James

Sponsored Links
Its difficult for me to suggest anything without hearing your whine.

As its under the installers and the manufacturer's guarantee then why not call the installer back first?

Tony

how long is the guarantee?
i'll give Valliant a call.
i can't get hold of the original installer, he seems to have disappeared.
thanks.

2 years on everything, 5 years parts only on plate heat exchanger.

Vaillants number is on the sticker your installer has put in the drop down front panel.

Be wary though, if Vaillant come out and say there is no fault then they have the right to charge a call out.

Sponsored Links
How did you do the balancing?
Is the temperature difference the same for all rads?
Can you locate the origin of the whine more precisely?
Is it possible my ex is hiding in your boiler?

Balancing - turned off all the rads, started with the problem rad turned back on, worked my round to the rad closest to boiler.

Temperature difference - yes

Origin of whine - inside the boiler somewhere???
I called the Vaillant support line and the women said it sounded like the air pressure valve, but i wouldn't like to be quoted on that.

Your ex - possibly...

I called the Vaillant support line and the women said it sounded like the air pressure valve, but i wouldn't like to be quoted on that.

I have to give up here, do not even know how the air pressure valve works

Hi James,
having similar issue, did you find out what the problem was?

Many thanks in anticipation of a reply.

Kind Regards

Ian

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back