Valliant VRT360 + System boiler - Manual hot water

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I would be very grateful if someone could help me.

We have just had a new heating sytem fitted with a Valliant system boiler, and a megaflo unvented cylinder. For the controls we have used a VRT360f wireless thermostat/programmer and and a VRT65 control centre.

The system seems to be working and after reading the poorly written manual several times I am able to use most of the features.

The one issue I have is that I am not sure how to manually heat up the water. The water heats up fine if programmed to come on/off at a certain time but I want to be able to heat up the water on demand just in case it is cold and we need hot water.

Looking at the manual of the VRT360f it seems to suggest that there is a 'once-fill' function for the cylinder which (if I am reading it correctly) should heat up enough water to fill one tank and then switch off.

I rang Valliant and after holding for about 20 minutes I spoke with someone who just did not have a clue about any of the Valliant bits I had.

I am not sure if the heating engineer has wired something up incorrectly, or if there is a setting I/he need to change, or its just the way the system works.

I imagine its quite a common requirement and cant believe that it can not be done.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
press and hold "F" for five seconds to boost hw.

Sponsored Links
:evil:
i am having problems with my vaillant vrt360f.
it was set up when my partners mum was in the house 6 months ago and we can get the hot water to work but nothing else!!!!!!!!!!!!!
she said "the man set it up " and nothing else.
I have a degree (science based as well ) and I am doing what the instruction book says but NOTHING IS HAPPENING TO THE HEATING
help. we spent £3000+ on the heating but nothing is happening to the radiators!!!!
I can't even manually overide the heaters.
all I want to do is:

1. set the timer so that the radiators come on in the morning and at night
2. manually overide it at the touch of a switch for a short boost heating!!!

First reply to David - Scampi has hijacked a question but will answer after reply to David.

To top up Domestic Hot Water (DHW) outside any set time band, do the following:-

Ensure display is normal default. (fig 2,2 of manual on page 7)

Press 'F' button four times in succession, to access Once Only Cylinder Filling function (Page 21 of manual) Tap symbol should be displayed with 'ON'. Once display returns to normal mode, after 10 seconds, the function will activate and water heating will be demanded. This demand will continue until next programmed timed slot is reached. To terminate early, press 'F' button once.

Now for Scampi's problem.

Dear Scampi.
My sympathies are with you regarding the VRT360f manual.
Since your boiler is operating when a demand for hot water is made, then this shows that the boiler is serviceable.
You don’t tell us what boiler you have. Is it a combi or configured as a standard open vent or system boiler?
May I offer the following to try and establish what is going on:-
Press the ‘F’ button once to enter the quick veto mode. (Page 19 of the manual)
The display will show ‘ON’ on the bottom left and the current room temperature on the right.
Rotate the control knob clockwise to set a new higher room temperature. After 10 seconds the display will return to the normal, default view and the heating demand should be generated.
If the boiler does not respond with heating, then the fault is not caused by miss programming but with other aspects of the installation.
Report back with the results of this test and I will probably be able to help you by direct communication.

I have tried pressing the function button 4 times to access the hot water on demand, the symbol comes up but the water doesn't heat up

any advice?

Hi again Hafussain.
Sorry for the slight delay but I have been doing some checks on my system, which is very similar to your own.
When the Unistor was fitted, did the installer remove the fitted cylinder thermostat and fit the VR10 NTC which was supplied with the VR65 in its place?
Just checked mine and the 'F' function 'Once Only Cylinder Filling' function (Page 21 of manual) will only operate when the NTC (VR10) is connected to the VR65 and not when the cylinder thermostat is connected in lieu.
With the cylinder thermoset connected, the tap symbol is displayed at the control unit but this is not repeated on the boiler display, which therefore does not respond.
I suspect a design fault here, as the similar Heating function on the first press of 'F' works fine.
Fortunately, I have wiring for both a cylinder thermostat and NTC (VR10) going to my VR65 and can therefore unplug one and connect the other, to their respective place, as required. I did this as an experiment when I first installed it. I have not got a Unistor, just a standard cylinder, with the NTC (VR10) fitted in contact with the cylinder wall, under the insulation.
Having just established that the water top-up function does not work with the cylinder thermostat but is fine with the NTC, I suspect that your problem is due to the installer using the original fitted thermostat in the Unistor which, as I have found, does not allow this function to operate. Instruction for fitting the VR10 to the Unistor are given in both the VR65 and the Unistor manual. Looking at both diagrams, side by side, however, you would think they were referring to different things! (well done Vaillant!) Even the cable looms come through different cable clamps on the different Unistor diagrams. I advise you to get the installer back and ask him to fit the NTC to the Unistor, as detailed in the various manuals. Its time Vaillant did something about replacing this appalling documentation for the ECOtech boilers. I may even have a go myself and post it on this site!

Best regards.
Peter.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back