Value of bricks.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I expect this to get the usual breezer response of see item x, but anyway.

After some structural work to our property (and some clearing out of the cellar) we have quite a few original bricks, many of which are whole and in good condition.

My question is how much could these bricks be worth? I know they must be worth something, as my builder said he would knock off some of the price, if we allowed him to take the bricks. We may come to use them in the future, but can anyone give an indication of the value of a standard size housebrick from a 1902 property in good condition?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
That depends upon how big a demand there is for said bricks, obviously the builder desires them, perhaps he has another project which he needs them for.

If nobody else offers anything for them then they aren't worth diddly.

Try putting and add in your local paper or on ebay and see what response you get. Start with the same price that the builder is offering. If you get lots of response, then they are too cheap, raise the price. If you get no response, sell them to the builder because that may be the only offer you will have.

chinesewhispers said:
I expect this to get the usual breezer response of see item x, but anyway.
well if it makes you happy see item 9

chinesewhispers, let me ask you a question:

you obviously know about "item 9 " (since you mentioned it first) but my question is this, why did you go ahead and ask, since the only answer you could be given has been given. (ask localy, stick em on ebay)

that is why we have item 9, since there is no way anyone that asks a price can be given an even vague price (unless it is they who are selling it) becuse it deods on location, access to job, wee you kniow becuse after all you have actually read item 9 havent you.

oh and while i am typing this Kev plumb has added a reply

laughing-smiley-001.gif
laughing-smiley-001.gif

Sponsored Links
He he.

My point is that, there must be an average price for a brick, maybe a London price, and a Northern price. Indeed I could put an ad locally, or on ebay, but somebody on here must have either bought or sold a reclaimed brick, and could give me an IDEA of a price.

I think they are worth more than 5p each, but doubt they are worth more than a pound each, but I don't know. I was looking for a rough guesstimate, not a quote for a large job with complicating factors.

If I asked how much a pint of milk was worth, it wouldn't be such a tough question. While I appreciate the rules, and the reasons for them, it wouldn't take much for an honest and experience member who has maybe bought or sold such item to suggest a possible 'going rate'. Now I leave myself open to suggestions such as, 'a zillion pounds', but that helps no-one.

Thanks anyway.

thanks for replying.

but as has also been said, its not the value of the bricks, its what are the bricks worth to some one.

to some one who has loads of bricks they are worthless, to some one who has none they are priceless.

perhaps you will now understand why we have item 9

It's northern milk :) and I am still srting them from the rubble, and cleaning them up, but I reckon I may have somewhere between one and two hundred, though not yet counted.

Maybe I should rephrase the post:

If anyone has bought or sold used bricks in the past, could they please post details here. Quantity, area and price per brick.

How's that, it's not asking a value for MY bricks, it's asking for previous evidence upon which to base an idea. Can't possibly fall foul of the wonderous item 9 then surely.

As i said, its not the actual value of the bricks, its what some one will pay for them, its too late, now to change the tiltle, and if you are thinking of making a new post that regarding your bricks, that will come under 1a and dont call me Shirley :)

I actually appear to have 400-500 of these bricks.

I will not start a new post, I wouldn't want to incur the wrath of the breezer twice ! :)

I will merely restate my question, in the hope of getting an answer:

Has anyone bought or sold used bricks in the past? If so could they please post details here. Quantity, area(region of country) and price per brick so that I may get a rough idea of what they could possibly be worth. Hopefully this is not illegal, and will by no means be accurate.

How's that Shirley? ;)

Now let's not try and be funny. I am not looking for offers. I am asking for people with genuine experience of dealing with such items to pass on their experience.

but you see what i mean, i think you would be better off with ebay (buy to collect)

I understand fully what you mean, and accept the rules. But I am not trying to break any rules, or be funny.

I have done a quick scan on Google, for reclaimed bricks in Yorkshire, and found that they appear to go for about £400 per thousand from retailers.

I was asking for people's experience, but if everyone is trying to be funny, or generally unhelpful, that's up to them.

Forget I ever asked, it was obviously too simple a question.

Thanks anyway.

chinesewhispers said:
Forget I ever asked, it was obviously too simple a question.

i did point out (several times) item 9 but you chose to ignore it, that is not my fault, mind you i could have always said see item 4

you do not seem to be able to grasp the fact this is a diy forum, diy is where we help each other with information how to do job yourself, or what is the general opinion of xyz piece of kit, not "how much will i get for........."

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back