Valve above pump

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I wonder if anyone could tell me what the valve is that is located directly above the blue pump in the pic I just took? The pump is pumping downwards. Even better if someone could tell me what I should replace it with? Its on 28mm pipe.

http://i1224.photobucket.com/albums/ee377/flutterbye29/pumpvalves.jpg

It is leaking slightly and I was planning anyway to drain down the system for a load of jobs that need doing so was thinking of replacing the entire stack of what look like pump gate valves, that mystery valve and possibly even the 2-port valves (I already have new ones of those).

Sponsored Links
are you talking about the extension piece? It will have a pump washer at each end so probably its just one of these.

It a pipe extender. For when if the new pump is too short to connect up.

You would not need it, add a new piece of pipe above pump gatevalve.

Dan

They are gate valves.

So u can change the pump without draining the system.

Sponsored Links
Thanks a lot for the replies. To clarify, it is the piece that is inbetween the pump and the top gate valve.

Seems odd to me why a fixed size extender would be of any use? Surely an engineer would find pipe more useful as it can be cut to size although I guess that would mean using a 28mm pipe coupler.

Given how old the existing gate valves are, I'm not sure I'd risk closing them without being in a position to drain down but if they did close ok, it does sound tempting just replacing the washer inside the existing extender. Would it be 1 1/2 inch fibre washer?

you would have had a really old bigger pump in before, the extension piece meant the pump could be changed just by turning off the valves, so no drain down, much quicker. If your draining down you can add a bit of pipe or if not just replace the washers on the extension piece. Use rubber pump washers.

Thanks a lot Micky. Why would you sasy use rubber and not fibre?

last longer, less likely to leak. Fibre tend to bed in, then any future movement and they start leaking. There's always a bit of give in rubber. Prob fibre in there now!

last longer, less likely to leak. Fibre tend to bed in, then any future movement and they start leaking. There's always a bit of give in rubber. Prob fibre in there now!

Don't oveertighten. I prefer fibre. If the face inside the adaptor (extender) ISN'T BROAD, THE RUBBER washer will twist.

I'd use a fibre washer between pump and extension piece and rubber at the valve, although if you had an actuators on both motorised valves you could probably extend the bottom pipe up into the valve without draining the system.

Yes I removed the HW actuator temporarily (and left it open) because the extender was dripping on it!

If I closed both motorized valves I guess I'd still need to close the top gatevalve to remove the extender and fit a new washer.

To be honest, I'm thinking about replacing the whole stack except the pump and possibly the MVs although I do have two new 22mm valves which I mainly bought to replace the faulty actuators.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back