van livery

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
is it really worth the effort?

I'm considering losing the livery from my van as it doesn't seem to generate much work and it makes the van more of a target for thieves>

what think you?

Sponsored Links
I've nothing written on my van at all,,,, it's just a plain white Astravan. It has a window at the rear end, and my plastering tools etc, are there for all to see. Never had a problem with vandals/thieves. They wont make much money selling a stolen hawk and trowel. :LOL:
Different with plumbers and joiners tools though.

it depends on your business. it might not generate business itself but it gets your name round the area. so when people are looking for your trade your name could already be in their head. as for security, if your worried and you are going to keep your van for a while, fit slam locks i've got them, they work for me

I think it presents a better image.

As for things geting stolen, these days I work from a L200 had a checkerplate tonneaugh made. Leave it empty, load what I need before going to a job.

Tough to be so disciplined and organised but immensely worthwhile exercise.

Sponsored Links
Keep a rottweiler in the back. That way your tools are safe.

Hopefully a new set of tyres costs less than tools.

It's been asked before and there are some people for and some against.

Benefits

Looks professional and gives a good impression to new customers (important if just starting out)
Free advertising as you're driving around and parked outside customers houses.

Cons

'Advertises' the type of tools that you may have in the back to the light fingered brigade.
You can't give crappy drivers the v's because they can get your name off your van.
You can't take your van to the local tip - even if you have a permit and are only dumping your household waste (at least around our way)

For me the cons are more important, and I'm very happy to not have my new van written.

If you get your signs on magnetic vinyl you can apply them while you're working and take them off at night etc.

....it doesn't seem to generate much work

You say 'much' meaning it has done at one point? maybe that one job got you a few reccos?

Do you ask every enquiry how they got your number? I reckon keep it. It's already on so leave it IMO

:)

If you get your signs on magnetic vinyl you can apply them while you're working and take them off at night etc.

Careful with magnetics...they need to be taken off and cleaned pretty much every day to keep them in good condition and to prevent them dulling the paintwork or permanently attaching themselves to your van.

Seem like a great idea to begin with but are really a bit of a pain. Ok for putting on vans of subbies for a day here and there though.

Hmm, tricky one. It might be an idea to just ask each customer:

a) where they heard about you
b) if they knew you/had seen you name/had seen your name on the van
c) whether they thought it was important to have the name on the van

Then weigh this against the amount of thefts you've had, or financial loss incurred through thefts.

Magnetic signs seem like a great idea, but are a lot of effort. Plus there's nothing to say that they won't rob you when you're on a job.

For me its a def yes

As im a landscape gardener it presents a more professonal image , i have asked my customers and most of them are more likely to employ someone with there name on the van as it give, s them a point of contact , and it also tells the neighbours that im a legit buisness .
as to the theft of tools i to only carry what i need for that day or job,
and the old saying is true "if they want to get into your van they will "

Sponsored Links
Back