Van tyre size

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My van has 205/75/16 tyres on it, the handbook says I should have 215/75/16, whats the difference? should I get them changed and will it make any difference to the driving/fuel?

Andy

Sponsored Links
Difference in Diameter: percentage = 2.1% actual = 15 mm

nothing to worry about as within 3% Probably find speedo reads a bit better
May have been put on as they where cheaper for the same tyre.

I did just the same thing 185/60/15 was replaced by 185/65/15 as the selection was much greater

How many tyres are 205/75-16 ? (ilegal to mix sizes on a axle)

What van ? Does is require a class 5 or 7 MOT (class 7 checks load ratings - wrong rating and you fail)

Is it taxed PLG ? - get stopped with wrong tyres by DVLA for over weight for the tyres and walk home with a GV9 !

The load/speed ratings are different for the 2 sizes, also both come in 8 & 10ply ratings.

Size wise it DOES matter, 205/75-16's are a smaller diameter AND width (regardless of how small the difference is) - when your speedo is showing 70 on the motorway you'll be using 70mph worth of fuel, 70mph worth of wear & tear but only actually traveling @ 65 !

Size wise it DOES matter, 205/75-16's are a smaller diameter AND width (regardless of how small the difference is) - when your speedo is showing 70 on the motorway you'll be using 70mph worth of fuel, 70mph worth of wear & tear but only actually traveling @ 65 !
Dunno how you work that out, when his speedo reads 70mph he'll actually be travelling at 68.6mph

Sponsored Links
How many tyres are 205/75-16 ? (ilegal to mix sizes on a axle)

What van ? Does is require a class 5 or 7 MOT (class 7 checks load ratings - wrong rating and you fail)

Is it taxed PLG ? - get stopped with wrong tyres by DVLA for over weight for the tyres and walk home with a GV9 !
The load/speed ratings are different for the 2 sizes, also both come in 8 & 10ply ratings.

1. All the tyres are the same make and size.
2. MK7 transit 2.4 RWD, HR/LWB 3.5T
3. Diesel

Looked in the hand book and they should be 215/75/16.
Will change in the summer. (not cheap) approx £145 per tyre.

Andy

Dunno how you work that out, when his speedo reads 70mph he'll actually be travelling at 68.6mph

I didn't actually work it out, it was just a rough figure to epmhasize the point, however :-

new 205/75 has a Circumference of 2243 mm (nominal)
new 215/75 has a Circumference of 2287 mm (nominal)
WORN 205/75 has a Circumference of 2192 mm (nominal based on 8mm wear of the original 10mm average new tread on a 8/10pr commercial tyre)

Difference worst case (new correct tyre to worn incorrect tyre) 95mm on the rolling Circumference (nearly 4" per wheel turn). (closer 3.5mph difference @ or nearly 5%)

Obviously that equates to 'ROUGHLY' 5% more wear & tear and 5% LESS fuel mileage - not exactly a fuel saver setup.

Andy - I shopped around alot for my van tyres when they needed changing, ended up getting some budget "Federal" tyres for £60 fitted each. Ive done 15k on them so far, think theres another 10k in them too.

Performance wise I wouldn't throw them round any corners but they seem fine for the motorway miles I do.

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Back