Vanguard Thermocompact combi boiler, no hot water.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Vanguard Thermocompact combi boiler. Installed approx 4 years ago.

I recently installed two new radiators in our newly built conservatory and as a result the dial on the boiler was showing that it had no water. After looking through my user manual I found the cold water valve and filled the boiler back up to the recommended level with no apparant problems. The situation now is that when the Central Heating is on we lose our hot water, especially upstairs. When I was trying to locate the cold water service valve I fear that I might have turned another valve or maybe caused an even bigger problem. There is no problem with my CH whatsoever and when I turn on a hot water tap I hear the boiler fire up. Does anyone have any ideas?

Sponsored Links
I think you will find its a Vaillant boiler!

You may have left the filling loop open? Whatever you used to fill the boiler MUST be turned off !!!

Also check the cold supply in is still connected and not turned off.

Tony

Hi Tony,

I assumed it was a combi boiler as we don't have an immersion tank? The manual lists the Turbo Max plus or the Thermo Compact but doesn't actually distinguish between the two. Because there is no filling lever (the manual suggests that only the Turbo Max has this) I thought it was the Thermo compact!
I used the cold water service valve to fill water into the system, when this valve was turned I could hear water going into the boiler and the needle on the pressure (?) gauge was rising. When I turned the valve back off, the sound of the water stopped and the needle stopped rising.
Am I right in thinking that all of the valve screw threads should be pointing in the direction of the pipe, ie showing they are open? As I understand it, the only valve that should closed is the cold water inlet valve.
I can confirm that this valve is still closed, the needle is still at the recommended level but the fault is still occuring.

Any feedback would be gratefully appreciated, I'm already only a few hours away from having to camp in the back garden by order of my Wife!!

Regards,

Rory.

Sponsored Links
Hi Tony, also I have just realised I had written Vanguard on the subject field, I see now what you mean, you're right it is a valliant, (I don't know where I got vanguard from), sorry to confuse things...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back