Vapour Barrier on Floor in Crawl Space

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm on a mission with my house to keep it warm and dry. I've just finished attaching 75mm kingspan to the walls, and in the process of placing rockwool between the joists under the floor. This is not a nice job as my crawl space is just about enough for me to lay flat on my back in some places.

From being down there I've noticed the soil is slightly damp so I was considering placing a vapour barrier over the top to seal it. My question is what would be the best way to seal the barrier to the walls? And with regards to the external walls should I seal it above or below the DPM?

I would hope that installing the vapour barrier would reduce the slight damp smell we get in the house?

Sponsored Links
1. Try to lay say, plastic sheeting eg Visqueen 1000 or 1200, in as large a sheet(s) as possible. Cover the whole sub-floor.

2. Overlap all joints between the sheets. You could seal them using tape, but its not a necessity. The idea is to create a vapor barrier not a dam.

3. Run the Membrane up the wall to below the DPC, but do not block off any air bricks. The membrane can be taped to the brickwork, but again, it's not a necessity.

4. If you are in a Radon area come back here.

5. If the musty smell persists come back on here.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back