Vapour Barrier??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, i'm renovating a holiday home chalet which is made out of asbestos/concrete panels. I plan on studding the external walls and insulating before plasterboarding. My question is do i need to apply a vapour barrier over the insulation before i plasterboard???

Sponsored Links
The thing is i've already got most of the normal 12.5 plasterboard, not foil backed, and i've been given rolls of plastic sheeting, i was hoping to put sheeting up as barrier.
Is this acceptable??

plastic sheeting is actually better than foil backed, as you can overlap it, tape up the joints, and seal socket openings much more reliably and easilly than foil backed. It is also "damaged" less when drilling or nailing holes into it for picture frames or whatever.

Sponsored Links
Why don't you simply use an insulated plasterboard panel and stick it onto the internal walls, which is where insulation works best! Then tape and joint and finish to your hearts delight!! Go for a urethane insulating material and you get an inbuilt vapour barrier, no need to concern yourself with plastic sheets! You may still need to provide some heating in winter to avoid thermal bridging, say when the property is unoccupied for prolonged periods, but the energy cost should be significantly reduced when compared to the existing structure.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back