Varnish on plaster

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have joined this forum on the advice of a friend who you kind folks have helped in the past.I am very much a novice and I am learning as I go, so would welcome a second opinion.

I am starting to decorate our new house and have stripped back the wall paper in the hallway with a view to painting. The plaster underneath is generally very solid with a very manageable amount of patching and minor fixes to be undertaken which I am slowly getting the knack of.

My issue is the previous incumbents of the house put a dado rail up in the hall, which when they varnished, they got the varnish on the plaster. I've attached a picture which shows what it looks like. It's a thick varnish strip in the middle of the wall the length of the rail

I have been able to use an orbital sander to remove some of the varnish, but I have lost my nerve. I started to worry that I might be taking too much of the surface of the plaster off in removing it. I don't think I can feel a bump, except at the far corner, but I am not sure if that was there before.

My question is essentially, is sanding it off a good idea am I damaging the plaster? If not what other methods could I use?

Many thanks for any help

Attachments

• IMG_20170218_190730.jpg
    IMG_20170218_190730.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 266
Sponsored Links
From that pic it looks as if there was paper behind the dado rail- steam that off and then see if you can feel a bump where the varnish is. If not then sand it lightly (just to key it) and slap your emulsion on- might need 3 coats to hide it but it will hide :)

Thanks very much for the reply. The picture was mid job I've got the paper off. I can't feel a bump on the varnish, but it seems like you think a lot of paint will do the job after a light sand rather than sanding the whole lot off. This prompts a couple more questions from me:

1) I am intending to use Matt White Emulsion. Will this be a problem.
2) Will I need to layer all the wall multiple times to get an even finish, or just the effected areas?

Cheers

Matt white- perfect. Long as you don't have any wallwashing light no one will see any ripple. Depending what brand you use, 2 or 3 coats on the wall, if you can still see a dark bit where the varnish was then whack some more at that bit

Sponsored Links
Steam strip the paper completely off. Sand down as much as you can. Apply a sealer coat of a stain block or oil based undercoat over the stained/varnished areas. Carry on emulsion painting
If you emulsion paint over the varnish it may not stick, the stain block or undercoat will make sure the emulsion covers properly.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back